Switch Alpha 12 external monitor?

manju
manju Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hi,

could somebody please give me a hint how to use an external monitor with the Switch Alpha 12? I already bought  a usb-c to hdmi cable. But unfortunately, the alpha 12 only complains that it does not recognize the usb-device and my external monitor does not get a signal. Do I have to switch somehow the usb-c mode?

Best,

Manju

Best Answer

• Parappa
    Parappa Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Hello. I don't know if you still need help with this, but I've had success using Cable Matters USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI adapter with my Switch Alpha 12 for external monitor support. Both the single port HDMI adapter ($23) and the more expensive multiport adapter ($50) from Cable Matters should work. I got it on Amazon. No drivers needed. It worked the first time within seconds of plugging it into my Switch Alpha 12. I read online that you should already have the HDMI cable plugged into the adapter before plugging it into the USB Type C port of your computer, or it might not work.

I saw on the German version of the Acer support site that you used an Aukey USB Type C to HDMI adatper. I also tried that same adapter but it did not work with the Switch Alpaha 12. I don't recommend any Aukey adapters for the Acer Switch Alpha 12 based on my experience. The "Plugable USB-C to HDMI 2.0 Adapter" (Plugable is the brand name) is also supposed to work but I haven't tested it. But one Amazon reviewer said it worked and it lists the Switch Alpha 12 as compatible on their web site.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

You likely need to load drivers for the adapter. They should have shipped drives with it, or at leasta web link for downloading them.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • manju

Unfortunately, there is no driver for the adapter available. 

In the manual of the adapter, they wrote that no further drivers are necessary.

Also on the website, I found no drivers.

• Parappa
    Parappa Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Hello. I don't know if you still need help with this, but I've had success using Cable Matters USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI adapter with my Switch Alpha 12 for external monitor support. Both the single port HDMI adapter ($23) and the more expensive multiport adapter ($50) from Cable Matters should work. I got it on Amazon. No drivers needed. It worked the first time within seconds of plugging it into my Switch Alpha 12. I read online that you should already have the HDMI cable plugged into the adapter before plugging it into the USB Type C port of your computer, or it might not work.

I saw on the German version of the Acer support site that you used an Aukey USB Type C to HDMI adatper. I also tried that same adapter but it did not work with the Switch Alpaha 12. I don't recommend any Aukey adapters for the Acer Switch Alpha 12 based on my experience. The "Plugable USB-C to HDMI 2.0 Adapter" (Plugable is the brand name) is also supposed to work but I haven't tested it. But one Amazon reviewer said it worked and it lists the Switch Alpha 12 as compatible on their web site.

• tefunk
    tefunk Member Posts: 2 New User

Got the "CableCreation Gold USB 3.1 Type C (USB-C) to HDMI Adapter (DP Alt Mode)" on Amazon for $13.99 and it works with the Switch Alpha 12.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0123PJ9BK/

• manju

Thank you, Parappa.

I tried the Cable Matters multiport adapter. HDMI and VGA are working now quite well.

Best,

Manju

• bturley28
    bturley28 Member Posts: 5 New User

I bought the Aukey USB C to HDMI and it did not work with the switch alpha 12. With research, I've found that the dongle has to support Displayport Alternate Mode (whatever that is) in order for it to work with the Switch Alpha 12 and other windows devices through the USB C.

• bacchus
    bacchus Member Posts: 4 New User
    Same oroblem here. I bought 2 different USB to HDMI converter but still not getting any signals from th TV. One adaptor is not recognized bt my switch 12 and the other just seems to notbe transmitting any signals to the TV
  • penrod
    penrod Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks I will try to buy the link tomorrow.

penrod

• tefunk
    tefunk Member Posts: 2 New User

For the CableCreation Gold cable I got I noticed the sounds stops working after awhile when transmitting to a TV and playing a video.

• botkur
    botkur Member Posts: 2 New User

I got the same one and the screen keeps flickering on mine.

And I'm having sound problems too.

Have you been able to figure this out? Or did you by any chance find another one that works?

• botkur
    botkur Member Posts: 2 New User

I just got the Insignia USB-C to HDMI adapter. Single port. Not a multipurpose dock. $39.99 at Best Buy. $31.99 if open box:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-type-c-to-hdmi-adapter-white/4480802.p?skuId=4480802

FYI, I also saw the multi-port one, which is almost the same price if open box:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-type-c-to-hdmi-external-video-adapter-white/5577934.p?skuId=5577934

Just connected it to my TV now and it seems to be working well. I don't see any flickering or static on the screen, and it hasn't gone black yet at all. Sound is fair. Whenever there is sound coming out of the TV's speakers, there is some minor (barely perceptible) static in the background, but the sound is clearly audible. Plus, this used to happen when I hooked up my old computer to the TV via HDMI too. So the sound issue may be a problem with my TV rather than the adapter.

• KikkomanSoySauc
    KikkomanSoySauc Member Posts: 6 New User

Elsewhere on the forum people said Cable Matters adapter works 

• readytech
    readytech Member Posts: 1 New User

I bought the Cable Matters Adaptor and it works great. Other adaptors I tried didn't work.

• JMiddle
    JMiddle Member Posts: 3 New User
    Download a program called audioswitch. It's free and you can easily switch which device plays sound. This helped me to get sound working.