model--r5-471T

fjnappi
fjnappi Member Posts: 5 New User

I have owned my Aspire R5-471T laptop for about 4 days.   It appears to work just great except for 1 quirk.  It intermittently disconnects itself from my home network (other computer devices in the house do not do this).  It takes an adapter reset (through selecting troubleshooting) to reconnect.   any ideas?

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

If you still have problems......

Make sure you have the latest firmware on the ASUS router.  Go to ASUS website and search for firmware for your router model.  After you flash latest firmware...reset ASUS to factory defaults by pressing and holding the reset button for more than 5 seconds.  And then reconfigure it manually from scratch.  Don't try to restore previous settings.  It's best to use as many of the default router settings as possible unless you really know what you're doing.

Delete (forget) the old wireless profiles on your computers.  And then restart your computers.  And then reconnect.

And if you're still having problems after that........

1.  Disable IPv6 on the ASUS router

2.  Unplug the ASUS, your modem, and any access points from the electrical outlet.

3.  Power down all of your computers.

4.  Plug in ASUS. modem, and access points.

5. Turn on computers.

6.  After everything is working ok for 48 hours, enable IPv6 on the ASUS.

I had something similar happen on a different computer model, and it was due to me tinkering with IPv6.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Have a look if you need to update your WiFi drivers:

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6397;-;Aspire%20R5-471T

don't rely too much on Acer care center about drivers update.

• @Ironfly: May be McAfee!

France
  • fjnappi

It is not Macafee due to the fact I removed Macafee a few days ago and installed an anti-virus product from Webroot.   I am checking the drivers now.

• fjnappi

Drivers are up to date.  I did notice the Security level setting on my Asus router was different than what I had set in the laptop.   It should have been WPA2-Personal and I had a different selection on the laptop.     It is early, though in the last 15 minutes it has not gone offline.   We will see.    Thank You

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

If you still have problems......

Make sure you have the latest firmware on the ASUS router.  Go to ASUS website and search for firmware for your router model.  After you flash latest firmware...reset ASUS to factory defaults by pressing and holding the reset button for more than 5 seconds.  And then reconfigure it manually from scratch.  Don't try to restore previous settings.  It's best to use as many of the default router settings as possible unless you really know what you're doing.

Delete (forget) the old wireless profiles on your computers.  And then restart your computers.  And then reconnect.

And if you're still having problems after that........

1.  Disable IPv6 on the ASUS router

2.  Unplug the ASUS, your modem, and any access points from the electrical outlet.

3.  Power down all of your computers.

4.  Plug in ASUS. modem, and access points.

5. Turn on computers.

6.  After everything is working ok for 48 hours, enable IPv6 on the ASUS.

I had something similar happen on a different computer model, and it was due to me tinkering with IPv6.

• fjnappi

Thank your for the suggestions.   I have deleted the wireless profiles on the laptop and reset my Asus router.  I then redefined the connection in the laptop and it is now all working.   We will see how the rest of the day goes.

Thanks You

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Just one really obscure thought but how long is the router lease time (usually a day). Could be set to 15 minutes. If all else fails might try static addressing.

Might also be something walking on you. If wireless try changing the channel to something obscure like 9.

• fjnappi

After a full week has gone by with random no wireless disconnects from my home network, I would say your last suggestion fixed the problem.    Thank you