R7-372T 746N release in the US? Plus question about next generation?

chnkymnky
chnkymnky Member Posts: 8 New User

Might anyone know if the R7-372T 746N is going to be released in the US? 

This is the version w/ the WQHD display and the 512GB hard drive setup - it's available in Germany, but not the US as of right now.  It's the version I've been waiting for...but...not available unless I order it from Germany, which I'd prefer not to do (no ability to return it, and I'm assuming there'd be serious issues getting product support...).  It's been available for a few months already in Germany, but not a peep in the US...

And...while I'm at it...has anyone heard anything about the next generation version of this model?  To me, the R7-372T 746N is almost exactly what I want, but for one thing...I would like more RAM to be able to run multiple processes.  Hoping the next generation will have the ability to go up to 16GB RAM.  Thoughts/comments/rumors?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

It was released in Germany around Nov/2015. If it was going to be released in the US, it would have been done by now.

• chnkymnky
    True...but...I can dream/hope...
  • Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi chnkymnky,

Here is a list of US units. http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/laptops/aspirer13

We do have one with the 512GB SSD but it does not have the WQHD screen that you're asking about. There are many factors involved in determining what can and will sell where. I personally don't see people emphasising screen resolution, and it's probably a pretty expensive component in the price of notebooks. These two factors would probably limit the number of high end screens in the market.

With that said, I'm highlighting this request. I don't think it will mean we see a new model out next week, but it will show that there is some interest in these specifications.

Cory

• chnkymnky
    Thanks. And bummer...it's cheaper to buy and ship a 512 GB WQHD unit from Germany than it is to buy the FHD 512 GB model in the US...

Mihht you happen to know whether Acer US would support a model bought in Germany? Seriously considering crossing my fingers and buying it...
  • philetus

This is from Acer's International Travelers Warranty, but if that won't get it fixed for someone residing in a different country from where item was purchased, I doubt if anything else will.

Q4. My notebook was purchased in a country other than where I reside. Can I use the ITW to get my notebook fixed in my home country?
    A4. No, only bona fide travelers who are in possession of a copy of the original sales invoice of the notebook may bring claims under the Acer ITW. The definition of a "bona fide traveler" under the Acer ITW is a person temporarily outside the territorial scope of the local warranty covering the respective notebook, without the intention of establishing a permanent residence. Otherwise, the notebook will only have a local warranty from where it was purchased; you will have to pay for any repairs made outside the country of purchase.

• rkdn
    rkdn Member Posts: 5 New User

I am also interested in the 512GB / WQHD model.... been looking for it and waiting for it to show up in the Acer store (almost on a daily basis).

I have the money, ready to buy... it's the perfect "future proof" model I'm looking for... please sell it in the US! Otherwise, I'll just have to keep using my tablet and laptop until the model I'm looking for comes out... but I'd really rather not wait.

Thanks.

• rkdn

if the 512gb/wqhd model won't be available in the US, shouldn't it be taken off the website? Seems kind of inaccurate to market a product that will not exist, unless there are plans to start selling it, which in case i'd like to know when.

• rkdn

decided to go with a Dell edge that has 4k.

sorry acer, but thanks for making the decision easier rather than waiting to see if the WQHD model ever makes it to the US.

there's no reason not to stock that model in the US when your competitors are pushing higher res screens.... sounds to me like you're covering up some supply chain issues.

• philetus

Enjoy your Dell Edge 4K. It's probably a nice laptop.

• Busta
    Busta Member Posts: 2 New User

RKDN- I mean, seriously. There shouldn't any issue with making their stock global, especially when it comes to minute differences in the specs of the machine. And like you say, when the big competitors are using higher resolution, more ram, etc. as their featured spec, why wouldn't Acer cash in?

Why wouldn't Acer want to sell it's highest spec'd product internationally? Kind of shooting yourself in the foot...

Also, simply referring to the different models by their model number, but keeping the same product name, is a nightmare for customers. Why, why can't Acer see these things? It's beyond me.