Installing Windows 7 or 8 on G9-591 ?

able6able6
able6able6 Member Posts: 18 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hi all did anyone try to install Windows 7 or 8 on predator g 9 791 ? Really want to try it thx

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

at the moment, i can't remember a thread about it; by the way, notice that you will need to set BIOS to Legacy to be able to boot windows 7 and there's a BIOS bug that sometimes lock the BIOS when is set to Legacy.

so...you need to wait the latest BIOS to be fixed.

be aware that some hardware will not work correctly under Legacy, since windows 7 is not officially supported and some drivers can behave erractic or even not available.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • able6able6
    Okay thx but how about Windows 8 thx
  • IronFly
    Windows 8.1 can be installed under UEFI, so i don't think it will be an issue...but windows 10 it's better than 7 and 8.1, so is it worth?
  • able6able6
    Well . I only want my laptop working fine without any problems , because I am having my graphic card keep crashing when I try to play game as well in Windows 1
  • IronFly
    Have you installed the drivers i suggested in the other discussion?
    Install VGA drivers from Acer website too.
    If you still have issues, wait for the new BIOS and if is still crashing, i suggest you to contact Acer support service, maybe your nvidia GPU need a firmware update.
  • gnanasingh
    gnanasingh Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi IronFly, I am trying to find out the same thing for my g9 792 whether i can install windows 8.1 on it because windows 10 does not support autodesk softwares. Is is it possible for me to run dual OS on G9 792 ? what is UEFI and how do I use it, I found your answer on this topic useful but couldnt understand fully about UEFI bios. can i just get windows 8.1 and start installing on my laptop as secondary OS?, thanks

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

I alrady installed win 8.1 succesfully. You can take most drivers from Acer for Win10, but graphics drivers, Killer Network drivers I took from the manufacutres pages.

You can do a Winto Go install with Rufus on a fast USB device. For this you have to disable secure boot.

Depdending to your storage configuration you could also do 2 independendt installs on 2 different discs, without problems. I don't find it useful at all, so I never tried it really out.

• gnanasingh
    gnanasingh Member Posts: 6 New User

Thanks for the response beststevie, I am just wondering if i can do a dual OS so that if anything goes wrong I can still have my windows 10. so if I have correctly understood, you are saying that it is possible to install win 8.1 as a secondary OS and make it work with existing drivers of acer for win 10 but graphic drivers and killer network have to be installed afterwards ? sorry if i am asking very basic questions, but i have no experience in doing this before, Thanks

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

Yes, but as I have a little bit more experience over years, I would suggest you not to do too much expermiments, because if you're not used to backup and restore your system, better don't try it.

And I'm used to dual boot systems with linux not with win8 + 10. I think using not Windows 10 compablible software might be a reason, but to try to solve problems it's not the right way.

• Hitti
    Hitti Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

This sux that I cannot install win7 on this laptop.

My sandybridge system was installed on win7x64 under uefi mode.

Why cannot this laptop be the same? Legacy right? pff

And, Acer wtf@ no drivers for this laptop for win7? Or any bios fixes ppl are talking about?

Get on it.

• Hitti
    Hitti Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

My cpu is 6th gen.