aspire 5100 : workaround for defect keyboard keys by using euro and dollar keys next to up

Edbv
Edbv Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

The left and right navigation/arrow keys just died. Above them I notice an euro and a dollar key. I think of remapping those currency keys to the left and right arrows, since shift 4 and altgr 5 also produce those currency characters. With installed linux, programs xev (and xinput test) I read no keycode output for the currency keys next to the up key. In fact I don't remember them ever working. For all other keys, except the defect left and right, I read an output keycode. Any suggestions for a solution?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer

You can try to re-seat the keyboard ribbon cable a half-dozen or so times to clean its contacts to the mainboard. If you need help removing the keyboard google the keywords --- aspire 5100 keyboard removal. If you think you need a new keyboard google the keywords --- aspire 5100 keyboard --- they're less than $20 with free shipping from several vendors. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Edbv
    Edbv Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks. Having seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw-fwJyaD_g

(link corrected for model 5100)

I think kbd removal is easy.

I think that reseating the connector is no use in this case. The arrow keys are used extensive. So there I expect the culprit. Maybe some more cleaning helps. Replacing the kbd seems a definate solution to me. I stay curious wether those currency keys next to those arrow keys can work.