Do all Aspire One 533 have Bluetooth?

MugenPower
MugenPower Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I could've sworn my Aspire One 533 came with Bluetooth but I installed Windows 10 on it a while back and just noticed now that Bluetooth doesn't show up.  I thought I saw Bluetooth on it on the Windows 7 Starter that came with it but don't see it popping up now.  Based on past experience, I know that Windows 10 can miss certain things when installing on legacy hardware.  After searching a bit on the Internet, I see some articles saying it came with Bluetooth 3.0 while some others said it was an option.  Can anyone confirm if all 533s sold in the US came with Bluetooth?  If it was an option, does anyone know the partnumber of the BT module and if it would be a simple plug and play once you take off the bottom cover?  Thanks in advance!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer

First check device manager for any issues. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MugenPower

Tinkerer

That was the first thing I checked and BT didn't show up nor are there and issues. Also scanned for hardware changes and nothing.
  • JackE

OK. Try this. Click the support button at the top of this page. Choose you country. Then click drivers & manuals. Click netbooks. Then aspire one. Then 533. Download both the Atheros & Broadcom drivers. Try to install each one. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MugenPower

Tinkerer

That was one of my thoughts as well.  I downloaded the 3 that were available and had trouble installing any of them due to Windows' overzealous user account controls.  My account is already an administrator, dropped down the UAC to the bare minimum, and unblocked the publisher via the Properties of each install file and was still unable to install them.  I was able to get through to one of the install suites but nothing happened after the install was complete (no confirmation dialogue box or anything).

I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping that someone can remember if BT was an option or a standard feature back when these things were new.

• JackE

Does device mgr show anything different?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MugenPower

Tinkerer

No changes in the Device Manager.

• JackE

Well, at the risk of guessing wrong --- yet again --- I'd guess your AO533 either doesn't have a bluetooth adapter or one that's being recognized anymore. 8^). But if you really gotta have bluetooth, you can get a small USB bluetooth adapter from Amazon for less than $20 with free shipping.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MugenPower

Tinkerer

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.  I'm thinking of getting a cheap SSD for it to try to speed things up and I'll have to reinstall Windows anyway.  If it really does have it, hopefully it'll detect it this time.  I'm also thinking of seeing if I can find out the part number on the BT module that came with this (if mine really doesn't have it) and seeing if it's a simple install.  Otherwise, I'll have to break out my old USB BT 2.0 module.  Thanks for the help, though!

• JackE

If you haven't yet wiped your recovery partition, you could always try to Alt+F10 back to factory-fresh to see if it works or exists then. Then try to reinstall Win10 if it indeed does exist and works. 

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ