Acer laptop LEFT side Screen hinge Problem

carrington94
carrington94 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Good Afternoon,

I recently bought became an acer user after I found this Aspire laptop that had everything that I wanted at a reasonable price. But after just a couple years the left side near the adapter plug in began to crackle everytime the screen was open and closed, slowly on the same side the plasitic became more and more separated, until recently this was not a major issue but as time wore on that small gap has become so wide it seperates the whole computer in two causing my the port that the power cord is connected to has fallen deep inside the laptop. As I begin to research this problem I came to find that this was something that has happened to almost every acer laptop no matter the price or type, now my question is since this is a manufacturers problem shouldnt ACER fix this issue without any cost to the customer since it is something that should have been fix in design phase? I find this perplexing because I have owned other laptops that I have droped (I have never dropped this one) that has NEVER split open.

PS if you do not believe me research for yourself. most of these malfunction happen before a years usage

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Hi, It is unfortunate to hear about the issues you're having with your case and opening the lid to your laptop. I would recommend having the machine serviced.

I can assure you that a far larger portion of Acer laptops do not have this issue. A lot of research, time and developement go into the area around the hinges to minimize issues, but laptops have had these issues for 20+ years. The hinge is a common component that produces a lot of stress. While we do measure ourselves to others, a quick google search replacing Acer for another manufacture is sure to produce the same results.

• Mg1
    Mg1 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have similar issue and this is my second Acer laptop. I was very happy with my first Acer laptop. It lasted for around 3 years but it had an issue with left hinge (screen gets split from hinge). I take very good care of my devices. I didn't know if there were similar issues faced by other users. The second laptop bought in around end of 2012 (Acer Aspire M) is having same issue with left hinge. I am little bit disappointmented as this was not cheap. I would like Acer to do some research on this and take required actions.

• tcmasse524
    tcmasse524 Member Posts: 1 New User

"It's unfortunate"?!  Lets get real!

Truth be told, Planned Obsolecense!  Really - 20+ years and this problem still exists.  Sounds more like an excuse.  We can put a man in space, but we can't fix a hinge design.

I have two Acer Aspire V-5 Laptops in my house.

1.  2 months ago, 1 1/2 years owned and the hinge comes away from the screen/lid and exposes the internal parts.  Also, yesterday, we opened it and it caught the edge of the screen.  It is now bent and the screen is cracked.  Touchscreen does not work any longer and small colorful lights flash all around the base of the screen.  When it boots to the lockscreen, the time, date, Wi-Fi symbol dances on the page until it opens itself to the password page.  Problem, we don't use a password to login, we use a picture login.

2.  2 months after the first Acer started to disintegrate, mine started to seperate on the left hinge near the power cord.  I have to hold the hinges when I need to reposition the screen for viewing.

Your answer, more than likely, "Operator Error!".  Acer would prefer to charge a $99.00 fee for 1 time assistance or $149 for 1 year subscription.

I have had three Acers in my life.  It is too bad Acer take responsibility for their design flaws.  It is goodwill and may keep Acer users from switching to another computer maker.

[inappropriate content removed]

• Blayn-Acer

Tcmasse524,

Sorry you are having problems with the hinges on your system. I have sent you a private message requesting additional information, to see how we can best assist.

• Eevee
    Eevee Member Posts: 1 New User

I've had my Acer Aspire laptop for almost two years, and I've also notived the left hinge coming out and pulling the laptop apart. I have never dropped it and never slam the screen shut or yank it open, so I'm not sure why this is happening. When the laptop is open, it almost seems like the screen is too heavy for the hinge to support. I have a friend who's had an Acer laptop for about three years and his left hinge is completely broken and has fallen out, but it still works so he keeps using it.

Is there any simple way of fixing this, or at least slowing the process down? We are in college and don't want to spend two hundred dollars to send the computer in to get fixed if it can be avoided.

• Acles
    Acles Member Posts: 1 New User

Same thing happened with my husbands old Aspire after around 18c months then the charging port became completely dislodged and useless.

I purchased my Acer in 2013 and this has slowly been happening over the last 6 months or so...I am sure in the UK that this repair should be done free of charge as covered by the sale of goods act.

Research on the internet is indeed supporting the theory that this IS a major and common inherent fault with Acer products.

I am in the process of compiling my case as I refuse to pay the costs quoted (just to have it looked at!)

Needless to say my husband did NOT buy a replacement Acer but went with a different brand and I too doubt I would buy or recommend Acers whilst this issue remains unresolved.

On a side note I had to return it when it was less than a year old as the hard drive went kaput too so all in all this is £500 that could have been better spent!

• Philly0
    Philly0 Member Posts: 1 New User

Recently my laptop has been creaking when I open up the screen and this week I'd noticed that the back lefthand side casing had separated by almost a centimetre by the hinge/power socket. 

When I got it repaired it seemed that the left hinge had almost seized up and when the screen was opened it ripped the three screws from the hinge out of their flimsy plastic housing in the base of the laptop. And with the hinge being seized at almost a right angle it was preying open the back corner of the laptop casing every time the laptop was opened up. The right hand hinge by contrast is mounted into a sturdy metal area which forms part of the Kensington lock. 

This on a laptop that was only eighteen months old and only used once or twice a week at home. 

Not good Acer, it seems you have let your customers down with a substandard product(s). 

• geodevos1
    geodevos1 Member Posts: 1 New User

Aspire E1-510-2602

At about 6 months, the back of the screen, I mean the lid, about an inch above the hinge, has a horizontal crack about an inch long. This will obviously get worse if I were to stress it by opening and closing the lid.  This is apparently due to the stiffness of the hinge. This computer has never been out of the house or abused in any way.

This appears to be a common Acer problem and seems to me Acer needs to step up for people like me and provide a repair.   How about it Acer? Is it worth it to stick your customers with this?

• Blayn-Acer

geodevos1,

Sorry for the problems you are having. I have sent you a private message requesting additional information.

• Blayn-Acer

Unfortunately, hardware failures can occur with any component on a computer, especially a moving part like a hinge. Several posts have been made to this thread with different products that have similar, but unrelated issues as the original post. We have followed up with each poster in this thread, so I am locking this thread from future posts. We encourage to create a new post so our community can assist if you still have questions or issues you need assistance with.

• Rockymountains
    Rockymountains Member Posts: 1 New User
    We have bought Acer E14 laptop for my son. He keeps the laptop on the desk only. But after about 16 months of use, the left hinge started giving problems and finally, it became separated and now laptop has to be kept open only. You can slightly adjust screen angle with your hand pressed at hinge but that's where it ends. I bought this it was economical but now if I have to spend even 150 bucks to fix it then I never buy an Acer product again. Another lesson I learned is plastic case laptops, never buy those. I have my own metal case Dell laptop for last 7+ years and that's the way to go. 
  • AakashGada
    AakashGada Member Posts: 1 New User
    i have bought acer ES 15 about 2 months ago.At first,laptop was making cracking sound whenever I close it and now the there is a huge gap in the hinges. I have only used this laptop for study related activities nothing more. what should i do?
  • adk77
    adk77 Member Posts: 3 New User
    So I purchased the Acer Aspire E5-575-72L3 15.6" Laptop in January 2017. About 10 days ago I opened it, as I do every morning, and was hit with the same left hinge problem noted by many above. So now what do I do? Send it to a Acer factory for repair??
  • disappointedUser
    disappointedUser Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have bought my Acer Aspire VX15 5 months ago,and the lower left corner of the screen hinge was already broken. I took good care of the laptop, open up and close the lid with extreme care but it still happens. I am really disappointed with this as its other aspects are good, except this. I am a Uni student  and so I can't afford the time cost to send it for warranty replacement which takes around 2 weeks-1 month in here,Malaysia. I will definitely switch to other brands for my next laptop. @Acer-Blayn
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited January 2018
    Hi all, 

I'm sorry to hear that you all are having issues.  Can you all (AakashGadaadk77 & disappointedUser) please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this?

Please keep in mind that to improve the post visibility to the public and so it can receive better attention and response, you all should create a new topic/post on the corresponding forum for ea model. 

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• gideonv
    gideonv Member Posts: 4 New User
    hello , i bought a acer aspire f-15 a year ago. The left hinge my device broke in half. and the plastic protecting the metal hinge inside broke too. What should i do, because i purchased this device in dubai but im in the philippines now and my warranty ended. Im very careful on this device.
    Please help me
    Philippines
    January 2018
  • marythelm
    marythelm Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2018
    I'm also experiencing the same problem right now. I haven't dropped my laptop but the left hinge is broken. How long is the warranty? I just bought it more than a year ago.

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi all, 

Sorry for inconveniences but we have previously inform this:

A lot of research, time and development go into the area around the hinges to minimize issues, but laptops have had these issues for 20+ years. The hinge is a common component that produces a lot of stress. Unfortunately, hardware failures can occur with any component on a computer, especially a moving part like a hinge. Several posts have been made to this thread with different products that have similar, but unrelated issues as the original post. We have followed up with each poster in this thread, so I am locking this thread from future posts. We encourage to create a new post so our community can assist if you still have questions or issues you need assistance with.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

This discussion has been closed.