Acer Aspire 5920 - Does anyone have any experience with this older laptop and wiping it?

Tardis_Luv
Tardis_Luv Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, eh! My name is Tardis_Luv, and I hail from the North Okanagan, BC, Canada...

I've recently acquired by luck and circumstance, a free Acer Aspire 5920 (from 2007/2008?).  I've cleaned her up and she looks like new, and is purring like a kitten; however,... the OS is Windows Vista, and I have nothing but the laptop,... no burned discs, no service discs, nada.
The problem is,... I hate Windows Vista.  I've NEVER had it on any of my previous laptops, and after spending only a day with this OS, I'm about ready to kick the person that thought it was a fun idea.  It's evil, and asks me wayyy too many questions that are ridiculous--it's like it's paranoid and anxious and indecisive, always asking for my permission and attention to things that you'd normally never truly pay much attention to *sigh*.

I have been searching the net for some way to get rid of it and upgrade to Windows 10 (not my fave either, but better than Vista, that's for sure!)--but despite downloading manuals for this model,  none of them seem to go back far enough to accurately explain how to reset the laptop back to factory default and wipe this thing of its previous owners info.  I'd like a clean computer to start fresh with; even if I can't upgrade to Windows 10 for whatever reason, I'd still like to wipe this little gem clean completely.

Does anyone have any experience with this older laptop and wiping it?
I can't seem to find anything but easy and new info online that doesn't in any way, shape, or form, work for me.

If you've done something like this on this older laptop, or one like it by Acer, I'd be very grateful for your comments.

Thank you in advance!

[subject line edited to reflect topic]

Answers