My e11 /es1 faiked during win10 reset, now cycles acer screen alt/f10 does not work, whats next?

searsdj
searsdj Member Posts: 3 New User

My hard drive reported low on space, a free up only gave back 2gb, so I went for the total reset. At 98% completion, windows reported "there was a problem reseting your computer, please restart your computer and run reset again".  The computer shutdown and now cycles to the acer sceen.  Your support page recommended alt/f10 at the same time, this has no effect.  On youtube one person offered hold down shift key and start holding the key until you get a "wait" then going to windows screen.  This doesn't work either.  From my knowledge the hard drive may have failed.

Answers

• Natey2
    Natey2 Member Posts: 23 New User

The E11 ES1 has no hard drive.

Is is a 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC machine.

See http://www.howtogeek.com/196541/emmc-vs.-ssd-not-all-solid-state-storage-is-equal/ for what eMMC is.

The restore partition should still be on your 32GB eMMC, unless you deleted it.

That should restore your machine to factory (Windows 8.1 ?) state.

I hope you also made a backup to USB stick of the system before you upgraded to Windows 10.

That USB stick can be used to restore the system too.

The E11 has so little storage space to do any kind of upgrade safely.

• searsdj

Hi

I have USB backup, but I can't get to Boot options to use it... I can't even go to BIOS.  All it does is flash the Acer startup screen repeatedly.  Alt/F10 does nothing (which should put me in the partion).  To me this would indicate it sees no hard drive at all.

• Natey2
    Natey2 Member Posts: 23 New User

Turn machine off.

Press and hold F2 while turning on the machine.

If that doesn't take your into BIOS settings, something is really broken.

If you do get into the BIOS, check that D2D recovery (i.e. Alt-F10) is Enabled.

• searsdj

Natey2, personal thanks holding F2 got me to BIOS and move my USB to the top of the list. d2d was selected, so I don't know why it wouldn't access the restore partition.  After booting on USB all partitions seemed in tact, but I chose to just format and start with new windows.  My windows is 8.1 and I took the free 10 upgrade some months ago.  I found after installing 8.1 a free upgrade is no longer offered, so you've got to buy it now. This failure about 2 days after a very large, lenghty "win 10 aniversary"  update makes me wonder if I wasn't given a time bomb that would require purchasing 10))  Thanks again