Acer E1-510 Win 8.1 x 64 - Wireless Switch (Fn + F3) does not work

gemtoba
gemtoba Member Posts: 5 New User

Laptop = Acer E1-510-4457

OS = Win 8.1 x 64

Requesting assistance how to connect Laptop to wireless network (cell phone wifi hotspot). I live in remote rural area, only internet access is wireless via cell phone.

Method to turn on Wifi on this specific Acer -is Fn + F3

--- To confirm wireless switch is on, a light will come on left side front panel where there are 4 lights, the 4th right light is WiFi- - irregardless of how many times this combo is done, WiFi Light never turns on.

I have spent month researching online, ACER community forums, Win 8.1 forums for wireless etc. …. Apparently this is common problem with this laptop model.

The following suggestions that helped “solve” some Acer users…. I have attempted but have not been successful. >>>>>> HELP <<<<<<<

Suggestion #1

Recovery to previous windows updates…unsuccessful.

==========================================

Suggestion #2.

Click on Network connections, lower right corner, click on wireless connection.

Problem:

Message says "No connections are available" Clicked on Troubleshooting-- result -- A Network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken.".......... connected USB phone cord to laptop, Internet Tethering option, mobile hotspot option did not work.

Suggestion #3.

1) Click on start --> In search bar, type ncpa.cpl and press Enter. "Network Connections" will be opened. 2) Right-click on your "Wireless Network Adapter" --> Properties --> Select "Internet Protocol Version(TCP/IPv4) --> Click on "Properties" buttion --> Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected --> Click on OK

Problem:

There isn’t a “Wireless Network Adapter” listed. The 2 options listed are Bluetooth Network Connection and Ethernet.

Suggestion #4.

- Go to "Device Manager" and click in the little arrow to the left of "Network Adapters" to open all the devices. - Right Click on "Qualcomm Atheros" and click in "Properties" - Click on the "Resources" tab and click on "Wireless Mode" - Change "Value" to "01-11b" (it was set in "12-11a/b/g/n/ab") - Click "ok" and make sure you are connected to your wifi network.

Problem:

Went to “Device Manager” and 2 items have yellow exclamation marks.

i) Network Adapters----- Qualcomm Atheros AR956x wireless Network Adapter

ii) Other devices-------- PCI Device

Right clicked on “Qualcomm Atheros” – “properties”…..No Wireless Mode option appears. Statement reads : This device isn’t using any resources because it has a problem.

Under “General Tab” – Device status: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device….. Code 52.

Under “Driver tab” – current driver version installed is 10.0.0.276

Went to Qualcomm Atheros & (on friend’s laptop via USB thumb drive) downloaded the latest driver update for win 8.1 x 64 which is version 10.0.0.329-whql. Copied zip folder to Acer laptop – My PC; Drive C; Windows; System 32; Drivers folder.

Went back to Device Manager – Qualcomm Atheros Adapter- “properties” – update driver

Restart – Device Manager-Qualcomm Adapter “properties”- Result – new version did not update.

Suggestion #5

Start > R-clicked on computer > Clicked on Manage > Hightlight "Services and Applications" > Double Click "Services and Applications" > Click on "Services" > Scroll to the bottom and find "WLAN AutoConfig" and make sure it is set to Automatic.

Problem:

WLAN auto config is set for automatic, no change was ever made here.

Suggestion #6.

Another possible solution: It works after installing Acer Launch Manager

Problem:

Apparently there isn’t Acer Launch Manager download for Win 8.1 x 64

Suggestion #7.

Researched Fn + F3 shortcut troubleshooting… no success.

PLEASE Any input is welcomed, please help, need laptop for work. Thank you

Best Answer

• gemtoba
    Answer ✓

PROBLEM SOLVED !!

1. Restored to previous Backup.

2. Re-Downloaded Qualcomm Atheros driver from the USB Thumb drive.

3. Control Panel-Device Manager-Network Adapters-Right clicked Qualcomm Atheros- Properties - Driver Tab - clicked on update driver - Automatically search for updated software ..... UNfortunately, result ----> Windows has determined that the driver software is up to date.

4. I know the latest software was downloaded, so decided to choose the 2nd option...

Qualcomm Atheros-Properties- Driver Tab-- Update driver--

2nd option --- Browse my computer for driver software.

.......the next screen appears -- Search for driver software in this location ---- I changed the location to read just C: --- took awhile for it to process---- end result ---> Driver software was Updated !! YEAH !!

5. Restarted computer, and by the time it reached the desktop, the Wireless light - on front panel came On !! YES!!

6. Control Panel-Device Manager-Network Adapters - NO YELLOW Exclamation marks anywhere !!

Thank you for your prompt responses, although your 1st suggestion didn't solve problem, I did widen learning with your BIOS instructions.  Sometimes helps to write out the suggestions carried out, step by step, to troubleshoot problem.  THank you for your support !

Have a great day ~ cuz I sure am  !!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

If you are not already at the 2.14 bios version, update the bios. Try the wifi. Go to Device Manager, right click on the wifi adapter and choose Update driver software.

• gemtoba

Thank u for prompt response.

I am not familiar as to how/where to update BIOS.  Would appreciate a link/or how to procedure.

Thank you !

• philetus

First see what bios version you have.Type system information in Windows search and click it. 

2016-09-25_1339.jpg

For drivers go here and find your model,

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

This is the latest bios

BIOSAcerResolves Win10 brightness issue2.145.2 MB2015/11/24Download

Download it and extract it to a new folder on the desktop.

Make sure the laptop is plugged in and the battery is charged.

Open the folder and find the executable, click it and don't do anything else unless told to.

• gemtoba

As you directed,

typed "system information" in windows search box.... unfortunately laptop does have current BIOS installed.

See photo below

AcerBios.jpg

Any other suggestions??

Thank you,

• gemtoba

I'm wondering if the problem lies with Qualcomm Atheros-- (please refer to Suggestion #4 in first post)

When I click on Device Manager-- there are 2 items flagged with yellow exclamation marks

1. Network Adapters ---- Qualcomm Atheros

2. Other Devices -----

IMG_20161026_220922.jpg       IMG_20161026_221033.jpg

I downloaded the latest version from the flash drive, then clicked to Update driver software, it remained as is, didn't update.

• gemtoba
    Answer ✓

PROBLEM SOLVED !!

1. Restored to previous Backup.

2. Re-Downloaded Qualcomm Atheros driver from the USB Thumb drive.

3. Control Panel-Device Manager-Network Adapters-Right clicked Qualcomm Atheros- Properties - Driver Tab - clicked on update driver - Automatically search for updated software ..... UNfortunately, result ----> Windows has determined that the driver software is up to date.

4. I know the latest software was downloaded, so decided to choose the 2nd option...

Qualcomm Atheros-Properties- Driver Tab-- Update driver--

2nd option --- Browse my computer for driver software.

.......the next screen appears -- Search for driver software in this location ---- I changed the location to read just C: --- took awhile for it to process---- end result ---> Driver software was Updated !! YEAH !!

5. Restarted computer, and by the time it reached the desktop, the Wireless light - on front panel came On !! YES!!

6. Control Panel-Device Manager-Network Adapters - NO YELLOW Exclamation marks anywhere !!

Thank you for your prompt responses, although your 1st suggestion didn't solve problem, I did widen learning with your BIOS instructions.  Sometimes helps to write out the suggestions carried out, step by step, to troubleshoot problem.  THank you for your support !

Have a great day ~ cuz I sure am  !!

• philetus

You had said you tried all that so I didn't bring it up.