Let's Get Social!

Ask our members for help or assist others.
You are all welcome at Acer Community!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acer Aspire ES 15 (ES1-533-C3UW): Legacy BIOS Missing

Acer Aspire ES 15 (ES1-533-C3UW): Legacy BIOS Missing

New User

Re: Acer Aspire ES 15 (ES1-533-C3UW): Legacy BIOS Missing

Ok, I will want a beer from everyone who got helped from my message:

You don't need to change to legacy.

Use Rufus to create a GPT/UEFI compatible USB drive from your Windows 8/10 ISO.

New User

Hi

I have successfully installed Ubuntu 16.04.1 in my laptop ES1-533-C6C1 following Sladek90 advise.

The only drawback is that it is horribly slow (probably becouse of some bug, have tried a Live-USB with MINT and it was OK...

This is the full tested process:

-- Boot Ubuntu Live USB

-- open terminal

sudo -s

ubiquity -b

-- Press Continue testing after installation is over.

--Now we will return to the CLI (  https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall  )

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt #sda2 is the root partition

sudo mkdir /mnt/boot/efi

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi #sda1 is the efi partition

for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done

modprobe efivars # make sure this is loaded

-- notice the bootx64 file

efibootmgr --verbose

-- We will reinstall grub-install for a 64bit version

apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64

grub-install —no-nvram —root-directory=/mnt

chroot /mnt

update-grub

cd /boot/efi/EFI

cp -R ubuntu BOOT

cd BOOT cp grubx64.efi bootx64.efi

-- You are finished, reboot the system.

New User

BTW Looks like Ubuntu is so slow becouse it has no support for my CPu (n3350 Apollo lake) probably becouse of the GPU.

Anyway installing kernel v4.9.5 solved the problem

download the amd64 generic version from here (3 files) http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.9.5/

and dpkg -i *.deb

and solved!!

New User

Instrucitions are very good when installing Ubuntu. I tried to install Fedora 25 in similar manner but I did not succeed. I've must me missing some step, so if anyone have the solution please write it here.

Tinkerer

It is not clear what the problem with Fedora 25 you faced, but based on my experience I made in the past I assume the computer hangs during the install process. If this is the case, I think the installer has to be set to install without bootloader (analogous to ubiquity -b in Ubuntu). This option can be chosen in the graphical environment of Anaconda (I do not remember where exactly it is but it is there for sure). The installation will  go through smoothly then (it did for me). Afterwards the rest of procedure should be distribution independent and should work for Fedora as well as for Ubuntu.

New User

The problem with Fedora is same as with Ubuntu, it hungs when it comes to the bootloader installation. Fedora bootloader is also Grub2, but it's implementation is not the same as in Ubuntu, so there should be somewhat different procedure for bootloader installation. Someone is for sure enough patient to test it..

New User

@HarvardNot

Thanks the GPT comment was the key. Where do I deliver the beer?

New User

Thank you so much, after more than a week of struggle I finally managed to get Ubuntu on my new laptop. One last question though; What 3  files should I get for the kernel?? I installed the image-generic-amd64, but do I also need the header then, to get the speed up

New User

JirkaKonca wrote:

Hello,

I have problem - I want to install Ubuntu Linux on laptop which has Linput Linux Lite. Problem is, that no device, USB or DVD, can be used to boot, as laptop doesnt even allow such option. Formus say that it works after changing Boot method from UEFI to Legacy, but my BIOS offers only UEFI.

To install Ubuntu i am using .iso file burned to DVD.

Can you help?

Acer_E15_01UEFI-only.jpg

Acer_E15_02Bootmanaget.jpg

JirkaKonca wrote:

Hello,

I have problem - I want to install Ubuntu Linux on laptop which has Linput Linux Lite. Problem is, that no device, USB or DVD, can be used to boot, as laptop doesnt even allow such option. Formus say that it works after changing Boot method from UEFI to Legacy, but my BIOS offers only UEFI.

To install Ubuntu i am using .iso file burned to DVD.

Can you help?

Acer_E15_01UEFI-only.jpg

Acer_E15_02Bootmanaget.jpg

Hi ..

I faced this problem .. the soulotion is :

You can install win 8 64 bit or win 10 64 bit 

You must have an image win only 64 bit and usb flash 8 GB burned with programe called ( ‪rufus-2.12 ) 

choice the GPT and burned 

Thats works with me  win 10

I hope i helped you 

Hello everyone,

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads and is not responsible for them.

We also cannot attest to the safety of third party websites.

Acquiring files through such links is at the user’s own risk.

[removed direct links to executable files (.exe) or compressed files (.zip) that are not from an Acer domain - please post a landing page instead]

Tinkerer

Hi. I have one idea why it possibly did not work with Fedora. Could be that it was not the case, but if you followed the instructions for Ubuntu exactly as they were described here, it is not surprising at all that it did not work. Fedora has different package manager (yum) than Ubuntu has (apt-get) and therefore command

apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64

could not work in Fedora. To do the same in Fedora, following command should have been used instead:

yum install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64

The rest of instructions should be common for both distributions.

Announcements
Get exclusive gaming insights, expert advice, and more. Enter the Training Room and leave the competition behind.

New Here?

New to Acer Community?

Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Assistance by Acer
Member Highlight

Join me in congratulating Acer-Jose who is our new Acer Community Administrator.  José will be working to ensure the Community is the great place for friends and finding the solutions Acer’s global customers are seeking.  Congratulations José!

Acer-Jose
Acer Community Manager Acer Community Manager

Acer Community Manager