Aspire M3900G BIOS update needed

RonKZ
RonKZ Member Posts: 3 New User

This box came with Win7 home premium.  I did an update to Win10, which took "forever", which shortly corrupted and rendered itself and the Win7 backup unaccessible.  In trying to recover, I installed Linux Mint.

I've since found that Win10 needs a bios update, and found such at this website and d/l'ed to another computer, and the Asus website now no longer has anything at all for the M3900G.

I am going now to try to update the BIOS, but the process found uses Rufus so it's a double process to make a Rufus DOS disk plus adding the BIOS update to that, and then bring it onto this Acer box. 

I've done my due diligence on this process so far, but this is way differenc from the "good old days", so I'd appreciate any input.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Have you checked the actual BIOS version?

boot your pc pressing Del and read the installed BIOS version, if it's older then P01.B0, you can update it:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P01.B0_A_A.zip?acerid=634138978225381463&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20M3900&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

the readme files explaing it very well:

1) you can create a bootable USB DOS flashdrive using Rufus or the old HP utility

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1869892/making-bootable-dos-usb-drive.html

or

2) install windows 7, flash using the flashable windows utility and then update or do a fresh windows 10 install

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • RonKZ

Thanks for dropping by, ACE.  My installed BIOS reads P01-B0 which would be the original BIOS, but something during the problems that came upon this computer (which came with Win7 and just recently was upgraded to Win10) said

the BIOS needed to be updated for win10.  The updated BIOS I managed to download at Acer came in named _P01.A3_Windows, and of course the "date modified" is the same as the "date created", but that's Windoze for ya!

I went the Rufus route just now, and it formatted the flash-drive but did not install it's DOS files.  I guess I need to mess with that for a bit, and if I can't get it working, it'll be time to try youf link.  I'll try to let you know!

• IronFly
    P01.A is an older BIOS, you have already the latest.
  • RonKZ

Thanks again.  All this fishing for solutions has served only to change my objectives about screwing around any further with Windows 10.  I have finally managed to create a full-install disk for Win10, but I now have decided not to bother with installing it on the Acer, and instead bought a Win7 installation disk and will use that, and will never upgrade Windoze again. 

The only reason for even bothering with that is because I've not managed to make Linux Wine work as expected, and have a couple of things to do with Windows apps for CAD and Genealogy before this old man hangs up the efforts.  Somehow

I had thought Acer brand was okay, but seems it's support has become almost worthless... not a good sign.

So I'm closing this thread and will so only the possible any more

• IronFly

you welcome. Smiley Happy