The HDD on my Acer Z5610 is overheating and shutting down. How do I transfer my Windows 7 to new HDD

murfy
murfy Member Posts: 3 New User

Would appreciate help from Forum members.

The HDD on my Acer Z5610 is overheating and shutting down unexpectedly. I have purchased a new 1TB WD HDD. I have tried loading the 3 Acer recovery CD's that I initially created in order to load all the touch applications etc., but got a message to say that I had to load Windows. The computer came pre loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium so I do not have any Windows discs. My question is: How do I transfer Windows 7 on to my new HDD so I can begin rebuilding the PC?

Best Answer

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

I think you have created Driver & application backup, If that is the case & *if the Old HDD is still detected & boots you could create a factroy restore discs, if not then you could get the same from store.acer.com.

Answers

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

I think you have created Driver & application backup, If that is the case & *if the Old HDD is still detected & boots you could create a factroy restore discs, if not then you could get the same from store.acer.com.
  • Mighty_Miro_WD
    Mighty_Miro_WD Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi there!

You can try cloning your OS to the new drive and since it is WD you can use Acronis True Image WD Edition:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=SbFjGw

And here's an article from our KB with the steps how to clone the HDD:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3682/~/how-to-manually-clone-a-disk-with-acronis-true-image-wd-edition-software

Hope this helps.

Cheers! Smiley Happy

• murfy

Hi Sathya0403 thanks for the help. I have created the factory restore discs as you suggested and all is now OK.

I hope this gets you a Kudos. I have clicked this as a solution.

Cheers

Murfy

• murfy

Hi Mighty_Miro_WD

Thanks for your help.

I have cloned my new WD HDD as you suggested.

It is an excellent program and easy to use. A great way to transfer all data including Windows OS.

I have marked as a solution and given you a Kudos.

Cheers

Murfy

• IanJSutherland
    IanJSutherland Member Posts: 2 New User

This is probably too late, but I thought I had a overheating problem and was looking at fans and all sorts.In the end it turned out that the cooling fins above the main fan were clogged with dust. A quick puff and vacuum up and my PC is now running around 40-50 degrees cooler.

I just mention it as it may not have been the hard disk after all.