Acer XC-605. I already have a usb wireless device and a usb dongle. Can I replace my wireless card w

sammiesworld
sammiesworld Member Posts: 4 New User

Acer XC-605. I already have a usb wireless device and a usb dongle. Can I replace my wireless card with extra usb3 sockets. if so, what hardware do I ask for? The front sockets have been sloppy from new and are now worse thn useless. Thanks.

Best Answer

• sammiesworld
    Answer ✓

Thanks Asdfguy86. The card that you suggested was no good because it was full sized but, thanks to your liknk, I then knew what to ask for and when seearching I just added 'low profile'.

My search came up with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008N3FPXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was full size also but came with an alternative fixing plate.

There was a spare space above so I was able to move my wi-fi antenna up to this and free up the pci express slot for the new usb3 card so I was even able to keep my onboard wireless and bluetooth. What a result! Smiley Happy

Answers

• Asdfguy86
    Asdfguy86 Member Posts: 33 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

You should be able to use unused PCI or PCI-E x1 slots on the motherboard for USB 3.0 slots. If you do not know what I am talking about, here is some pictures:

PCI_und_PCIe_Slots.jpg

Here is a PCI-E x1 USB 3.0 card connector with 4 ports I was able to find: Click Here

And here is a PCI version: Click Here

• sammiesworld

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and I', really sorry I took a while to get back.

The card that you found for me was for the correct socket but it was for a full sized PC case. I bought a similar one for a previous machine. The XC-606 is a small desktop that will not accommodate such a long card. It would take a 2 socket card but needs a short fixing plate. There are plenty of 2 socket cards available but all seem to have full length plates.

• sammiesworld

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and I'm really sorry I took a while to get back.

The card that you found for me was for the correct socket but it was for a full sized PC case. I bought a similar one for a previous machine.

The XC-606 is a small desktop that will not accommodate such a long card. It would take a 2 socket card but needs a short fixing plate. There are plenty of 2 socket cards available but all seem to have full length plates.

• sammiesworld
    Answer ✓

Thanks Asdfguy86. The card that you suggested was no good because it was full sized but, thanks to your liknk, I then knew what to ask for and when seearching I just added 'low profile'.

My search came up with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008N3FPXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was full size also but came with an alternative fixing plate.

There was a spare space above so I was able to move my wi-fi antenna up to this and free up the pci express slot for the new usb3 card so I was even able to keep my onboard wireless and bluetooth. What a result! Smiley Happy