aspire v3-771g keyboard : some buttons not working all the time

mairaeva
mairaeva Member Posts: 1 New User

some keys, mainly "f6 5 6 r t f g v" are not working all the time

i seems like if I move the laptop, sometimes they are all working suddenly

do you think replacing the keyboard will help ?

I ve found that I am not the only one facing the issue :

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/newresponse/1652484

Answers

• Charitha
    Charitha Member Posts: 131 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hi,

This may happend due to Heat effect, dust , Ant, liquid spilled, etc. There for the best thing is contact Acer service point and most probably Keybaord has to be replaced. 

Thanks

• chuckbli
    chuckbli Member Posts: 1 New User

The Gateway laptop I bought in June had the same problems: "5, 6 , r, t, f, g, v" are insensitive.  They require mutiple strokes in order to show up.  What a co-incidence!  It is getting worse now.  I am considering to take the hassle to send it for warranty service.  Those keys must be controlled by the same paralell circirt, so they all get affected at the same time.  I have a few computers.  I barely used this one and I never spilled anything on it.  Since it is a common theme for Acer, it must be a manufacture problem.

• silsiv
    silsiv Member Posts: 1 New User

pretty much same problem with my aspire v3-771g.. for me it's the keys (zero, questionmark, aa (nordic keybord, right under QM), and -/underline)  

• Alexei_wfx
    Alexei_wfx Member Posts: 1 New User

Mine F9  9  O  P  L  @ .  and Alt Gr  they're stop working, not very nice for a light use of it...

• tirefrier
    tirefrier Member Posts: 1 New User

I also have an Aspire v3771g, but I am experiencing these problems with the 9, o, p, l, ;, and . keys. It was intermittent at first, but after searching online and finding others with the same problem (maybe with different keys, but the same intermittent key operation), I noticed that some people said that their keys became functional after moving the laptop. So, putting it to the test, when my keys wouldn't work, I lifted and rotated my laptop around and what do you know, they started working again. I called customer support and they walked me through uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard drivers, but that didn't help at all. They also walked me through a power drain test, which was equally useless. I have a USB keyboard that works fine with no problems, so, based on the information gathered from tech sites and other forums, it seems that the keyboard itself is at fault. Even after learning this, I'm having a hard time sending my computer to Texas to have the repairs done with an average turnaround time of 3-4 weeks and paying shipping charges, so Im looking into replacing the keyboard myself (which I've found online for around $30 USD) with a little Youtube help or, possibly, buying the keyboard and walking into a computer repair facility to have the replacement done within a few days.

• rcmack
    rcmack Member Posts: 1 New User

keys not working for me: space, z, v, b,', 6 on numpad.  happened just all of a sudden just now

• angrybirdHK
    angrybirdHK Member Posts: 7 New User

I've been suffering the same problem....

Recently, I have tried reinstall the windows, the problem is solved instantly.

However, after updating the windows 7 OS, the problem come again...

solution: try uninstall the keyboard drivers.

control panel->device manager->keyboard->uninstall HID keyboard Device and standard PS/2 keyboard

->restart the Acer NB.

• angrybirdHK

if the problem insists, try to delete the pointing device drivers...

• angrybirdHK

or try to delete only the HID keyboard while reserving the PS/2

• angrybirdHK

1 more solution: try to downgrade the BIOS to 1.01

• Carol1314
    Carol1314 Member Posts: 1 New User

hihi, I also facing same problem in sudden,

my number 6 not working at all even I press hard on it. 

and my 7 on right hand keyboard also not sensitive. 

My bank account got blocked due to missout those number, sigh. 

At first I thought was virus, so I format entire window to factory setting, the problem still exist. 

anyone can help me? 

My model is Aspire- M3-581TG , window 7. 

• kernelhappy
    kernelhappy Member Posts: 3 New User

My keypad started doing this as well about a week and a half ago.  I lost the home key, pg dn and a couple of the numbers (rest of the keyboard seemed ok) and thought for sure that I was looking at a new keyboard.  

I was trying to figure out which keyboard HID device was the internal keyboard and I pulled the logitech wireless receiver out of the USB port and the keypad instantly started working again.  I plugged the adapter back in and the keyboard still works. 

The point of the story is that drivers apparently can cause sporadic key death.  I highly recommend removing any other keyboards/adapters and trying the driver removal mentioned earlier in the thread.

• kernelhappy

And my replacement keyboard just arrived from ebay.....

The numer pad started acting flakey again rebooted into bios and it still wouldn't work which ruled out windows/drivers.

I think it's pretty obvious that there's something off about these keyboards.

• kernelhappy

Just to follow up, replacement keyboard is in and 0123456789 - keypad now works.  

I will say that while I'm disappointed that the keypad failed, acer did not skimp on assembly costs on this computer.  There are many screws which is why it's a solid machine despite the plastic construction.  

Replacement keyboards are less than $20 off ebay or amazon (some sellers even eligible for amazon prime).  Replacement time was roughly 35 minutes disassembly to reassembly.  There are two videos on youtube, the one with the spilled beers shows how the backing plate comes off the keyboard (you have to slide it  up after you remove the micro screws.  

This discussion has been closed.