acer aspire 5742 will not boot

peterpan01
peterpan01 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all hope you can help - i have a acer aspire 5742 running on windows 7. the problem is that it will not boot up after the acer bios start up page and just continuously loops around. F2 and F12 key available no F8 or F10 function. attempted to re-boot from recovery disc no joy. changed boot from disc in bios still no joy. unable to do a safe start or system reset as F8 and F10 keys unavailable.

fan is running (not over heating)

HD is running

can you please help

Best Answer

• peterpan01
    Answer ✓

Hi - i have worked it out with thanks to you all, i shall hope to explain how to fix in basic terms.

1 - download partition manager 2014 free. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

2 - run partition manager and select delet partions.

3 - select partion that has 100mb space and delete

4 - then select the largest partition and delete.

5 - turn off laptop

6 - turn on laptop

7 - when the acer page appears press ALT + F10 ONCE ONLY.

8 - then i selected to full install. top setting.

bingo it completed the full install without hang up on office.

this has been mentioned else where but needed to be simplified.

hope this all works for you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer

Have you tried ereovery? If not, follow this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ with the option of saving your data if desired.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• peterpan01

thankyou - i have managed to do a restore but while installing it freezes when 3/4 installing office 2010. if i shut down and restart - windows runs then goes back to the same page (installing office 2010). the program running office install is ALaunchx.exe.

i have installed office 2010 from another disk and install is good, but the problem above re-occurs.

cheers for your help

• JackE

This is a known problem that Acer is fixing.

For now, the workaround is to press the Alt+Home keys at the Office 2010 freeze screen (or Fn+Alt+PgUp keys on abbreviated keyboards.) This key combo will minimize the frozen screen and reveal another screen behind it waiting for your response. Skip the Office 2010 installation, and the restore screen should happily continue on to completion. Report back with your results.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gadge814
    gadge814 Member Posts: 6 New User

hi i also have this same problem on the same laptop, keeps freezing on office install.

I managed to do the ALT+Home buttons and nothing is running in the background, you mentioned skipping the office install, how do you do that as there is no option to skip it.

Thanks.

• JackE

Does the frozen screen minimize at least? If not, try the Fn+Alt+Home combo and the other Alt key while I'm searching the archives on this issue.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

And here is the archive link for your reading enjoyment. Hoping you can somehow get the Alt+Home or Alt-Gr+Home combo working. Because you prolly ain't gonna like the other way of getting around the problem toward the end of this thread.

http://community.acer.com/t5/facebookforums/facebooksingletopicpage/facebook-app/384701878271850/message-uid/219499/tab/board/page/12

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gadge814
    Hi, yes I can get the screen to minimise and use the laptop like normal but every time I restart the computer it just goes straight back to trying to install office.
    Have tried leaving it for a couple of hours but doesn't install, have tried 2 restores and also tried a restore from disks but still the same problem
  • gadge814
    Thanks for the link. Will have to give it a try as nothing else seems to work.
  • JackE

And this is the link to the workaround Acer currently recommends. It's marked as "Solution" by JSpinner.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Recover-disks-freeze-at-Office-2010/m-p/222329#M36477

I'm also gonna check with the Acer technicians to see if an easier workaround is ready yet. But if you feel as comfortable with wiping partitions as I am, you might wanna continue using the Alt+Home key nuisance for the time being. There is a MS command prompt utility, diskpart, that can be very cautiously used to accomplish this partition wiping but it's interface is not for the faint of heart.  

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• peterpan01
    Answer ✓

Hi - i have worked it out with thanks to you all, i shall hope to explain how to fix in basic terms.

1 - download partition manager 2014 free. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

2 - run partition manager and select delet partions.

3 - select partion that has 100mb space and delete

4 - then select the largest partition and delete.

5 - turn off laptop

6 - turn on laptop

7 - when the acer page appears press ALT + F10 ONCE ONLY.

8 - then i selected to full install. top setting.

bingo it completed the full install without hang up on office.

this has been mentioned else where but needed to be simplified.

hope this all works for you.

• JackE

Great simplification! Congratulations!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gadge814
    Thanks for the update peterpan01 worked a treat, for anyone else that wants to try it I skipped step 4, I deleted the 100mb partition and followed the rest of it and it worked for me.
This discussion has been closed.