Aspire 5741 Memory question DDR3-1066 or DDR3-1333

Tex99
Tex99 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello, I'm Dennis and I'm new on here. I have a question about memory. I went to a local computer store for memory and they gave me 4x2 (8gb) memory DDR3-1333. I have had some problems possibly attributed to memory problems. All of the memory websites seem to suggest DDR3-1066 as well as a listing on this forum. Will the Aspire 5741 work ok with the DDR3-1333 or should I replace it with the DDR3-1066?

Answers

• What kind of problem you are having? that module should work, you could always remove one stick to eliminate the faulty one by switching around, as you said both PC3-10600 which is SSR3-1333 and PC3-12800 which is DDR3-1600 are compatible for your laptop. Also check whether both modules are seated propery.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Aspire%205741&Cat=RAM

• Tex99

Thanks for the reply. I installed 2/4 gb modules about 6 months ago and have various instant reboots since. It finally got so bad that I called microsoft and the guy checked it a lot and said it could be some type of power failure, or possibly hardware, thinking ram. I never had any problems before. I get a lot of ie failures, reboot to blue screens, disk compatibility problems, although nothing has indicated that my drive had bad sectors, just bad clusters and it fixed those. It usually only reboots in internet explorer. When I'm actually running a program such as MS Word, Excel, Net Objects, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc. it never reboots. It's about to drive me nuts. I was thinking of replacing the memory. When I look at memory sites, they are all over the place whether it's 1066 or 1333. Any suggestions?

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

The service guide for your model specifies DDR3-1066 RAM only. I also believe it requires 1.5V
    Many believe that DDR3-1333 will run OK at DDR3-1066 speed but this is not always the case at all. Some may, some may not.
    Personally, I would fit DDR3-1066 which is what the motherboard expects particularly as you are experiencing problems (which may not be attributable to the RAM of course - does it work OK with the original RAM replaced?).

• Tex99
    I have had increasing problems since I upgraded from the original 4gb to 8gb. Several sites recommend the 1333 mhz and I believe frys gave me the 1333 since that is what they quoted today. I cant tell by looking at the upgraded memory as it only shows ddr3 and nothing else. I will change back to the 1066 again and test. I think its interesting that it never reboots while in a real program, even notepad or word, etc. Thanks for your information concerning the recommended 1066. I tried several memory sites and got many suggestions of both speeds. Very confusing. Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.