Windows Not Booting

Breezy
Breezy Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello there,

I've got an Aspire 5920 that recently shut off and will not boot up Windows Vista anymore. When I turn it on, I get the Acer logo and then it recommends that I launch Startup Repair. When I choose this, I get a screen asking me to select an operating system to repair and select next, however there are no operating systems listed. It says if you do not see any listed, click Load Drivers to load drivers for your hard disks. At this point, I don't actually know what to choose, it takes me to the System 32 folder and there are lots of what look to be language folders, and many have nothing in them.

If I cancel this and click Next, I get to the System Recovery Options window. When I launch Startup Repair from here, it tells me that Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. When I click View Problem Details, it gives me this report:

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name: Startup Repair V2

Problem Signature 01: SystemDisk

Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0

Problem Signature 03: 0

Problem Signature 04: 65537

Problem Signature 05: unknown

Problem Signature 06: Corrupt Volume

Problem Signature 07: 0

Problem Signature 08: 1

Problem Signature 09: Chkdsk

Problem Signature 10: 31

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

I also get a message saying if I have recently attached a device to this computer such as a camera or portable music device, to remove it and restart. This is not the case, nothing is attached to it. When I click View Diagnostic And Repair Details, I get this report:

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log

Number of Repair attempts: 1

Session details

System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0

Windows directory =

AutoChk Run = 0

Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed

Name: System disk test

Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0

Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed

Name: Disk failure diagnosis

Time taken = 16ms

Test Performed

Name: Disk metadata test

Time taken = 47ms

Root cause found:

System Volume on disk is corrupt.

Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x1f

Time taken = 0ms

I'm not sure what to do next. I've seen advice given for similar problems, but I thought I'd ask about my specific one to make sure I do the right thing. I've got two hard drives, C:/ & D:/ and while I'd love to get it booted again to grab some things off C:/, most of my important data is on D:/.

My one main concern is, if I have to do a complete system restore on C:/ in order to get Windows reinstalled, will my data that is on D:/ be left alone? I've been having problems with blue screens and it seems like everytime this happened, a weird folder with random letters and numbers in the name would appear on D:/ everytime.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Answers

• davidgreene
    davidgreene Member Posts: 16 New User

Do a repair. But to make it successful , you have to use the operating system disc. Insert it and do the start up repair with it so that all needed files will be loaded from the DVD or operating system's disc to your computer. 

It looks like that your computer is infected by an anti-virus. I suggest that after the start up repair and if it fixes the computer, you run an anti-virus scan. Install RadarSync also and scan your computer to know which drivers are out-of-date. Update all drivers so that you won't get any blue screen errors caused by driver issues.

David

• Breezy
    Breezy Member Posts: 2 New User

I actually don't have an operating system disc, the laptop never came with any. Is there a difference between using the disc and using the eRecovery management that's on the hard drive?

Also will the repair do anything to my D:/ drive? I don't mind reinstalling Windows on C:/ but all my important files are on D:/. I'd love to boot it somehow in order to move all my D:/ files over to a flash drive.

• OHISTHATIT
    OHISTHATIT Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Breezy.

I'm having the same challenge, my ms are a bit longer.  I have an Aspire 5100  (Vista o/s  missing).  Have you received any help yet?  Prior to this I had to purchase an external Disk Player because my laptop did not acknowledge that I had a cd/dvd!

This discussion has been closed.