DPC Watchdog Violation Error

ShaquilleRayAU
ShaquilleRayAU Member Posts: 10 New User

Hi.

Every now and than I'm getting a blue screen with the error "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" I have updated all the drivers and my software and the issues are still presisting.

Here is the link to the dump file!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pn11yd1dx45hhb5/051313-64812-01.dmp

Answers

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

Have a look at your event logs and see if there are entries that may give a clue to the problem.

• ShaquilleRayAU

The issue seems to be with my Hard Drive driver, I looked at the acer drivers page for it and there is no download for the hard drive. I contact Seagate whom seems to make the HDD, now to just play the waiting game

• ShaquilleRayAU

I emailed Seagate about the error and requested the latest firmware to get told to ask Acer for it!

I have checked the event logs but nothing about the errors in any log!

What should I do?

I tried factory restoring and same issue!

• Alan-London

I don't understand why Seagate would think Acer would hold their firmware.

HDD firmware is nowhere near the same thing as drivers. Firmware is normally released to address a serious bug, not as a general update. If there is an update released, expect to find it on Seagate's download site.

In the absence of any error messages, what is leading you to suspect the HDD? Are you aware of a problem with your Seagate model? I assume you have checked the drive for errors and performed a virus scan.

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION errors can be caused by both hardware and software (it is the Win8 equivalent of the infamous BSOD). A memory problem is another probability as far as hardware goes. You can rule that out by running 'Memory Diagnostics Tool'.

Microsoft concede that it can be very difficult to pin down the cause and suggest a stack trace *may* uncover the problem!

• ShaquilleRayAU

I tried what you suggested and no luck however after reading some information on MSDN I was able to generate these errors reports. Any idea on how to fix them? To me it looks like software issues instead of hardware.

Any ideas on what to do next?

• Alan-London

hal.dll is the Hardware Abstraction Layer dll that deals with interfacing between the kernel and the hardware. In simple speak, it allows a common set of kernel routines to interface with many differing hardware components rather than needing to be individually tailored for each manufacturers hardware.

It's not inconceivable that a hardware failure could manifest itself as a hal.dll fault.

Given that DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION errors are, I believe, primarily triggered by system calls not responding or taking an unexpectedly long time to respond, it is possible that your initial thoughts regarding an HDD fault could be valid. 

It's interesting that there appears to be a problem with the afd.sys (Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock) as I have posted on the forum regarding this driver before. I doubt a hardware problem would be the cause of a failure of this driver. However, it is a prime candidate for malware/virus infections though so I would do a virus scan of afd.sys.

It is so frequently attacked that Microsoft issued a 'FixMe' for this.

I would rule out afd.sys first.

• ShaquilleRayAU

I have run virus scan using McAfee and bitfender to rule out malware and nothing was found! I have found that a couple of drivers I had were updated recently in the last couple of days so I have updated them to the latest release and everything seems fine now. In fact my laptop now seems to be quiter than what it used to be!

If the error happens again I'm going to have to get Acer to have a look at it under warrenty

• ShaquilleRayAU

And the error comes back after 24 hours. I have seem to of run out of ideas :\

• Alan-London

That's unfortunate.

There is clearly an issue of some sort with afd.sys so I would replace that first and hopefully get that problem sorted.

It is worth noting that anti-virus software does not catch all. Also, I have read that infections that have been identified and eradicated have in some cases left the driver damaged.

I didn't make a note of where the 'Fixme' is located but a search should locate it for you. I would point out that the MS fix is purely to make life easier when replacing the driver (it is system protected). It makes no attempt to prevent further infection. If nothing else, you will at least have eliminated this as the cause of your problem.

• ShaquilleRayAU

I have gone a little overboard but I wantted to rule out all possiblities.

I have wiped by Hard Drive clean using Gparted, than installed Windows 8 via a retail disc and updated windows. This has gotten rid of all drivers and removed all that bloatware (which I hate). This is the last thing I can think of.

What I think has gone wrong is that pre-load windows 8 was currupt as well as the recovery sector.

Everything seems to be going fine at the moment, hopefully it was the pre-load software / OS that was stuffed

This discussion has been closed.