Window 10 On ICONIA W510 using WIMBoot for more free disk space.

aphorist
aphorist Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited June 2021 in Tablets

What is this ...

WIMBoot is a feature that we can boot from .wim file instead of extract content to harddrive.

WIMBoot made for computer or tablet that have small size of storage (eg. 32GB OR 16GB) for increase for free storage space. And make device have ability to recover, resetting, reinstall windows without windows installation disk.

After windows 8.1 Updated we can use WIMBoot feature and now I use this feature for windows 10 to boot our Iconia W510 tablet.

(More about WIMBoot : WIMBoot Overview)

(SEE MY PREVIOUS POST ABOUT WIMBoot FOR ICONIA W510 WITH Windows 8.1 Updated : HERE!!)

Screen Shot ...

This picture is system detail as you see windows is activated!

Capture.jpg

This picture show free space after clean install. Around 24GB free space.

In C: drive it have more partition space than windows 8.1 update

02.JPG

As you see Windows C: used around 2.79GB for pagefile and hibernate files.

03.JPG

With my installation. My windows have activated...
I do not know with your installation it will activate or not, I can't confirm this, you must try for your own risk.

04.JPG

What will you get with this.

• More freespace for your drive. (Around 24GB)
  • Ability to use recovery function of windows (Recover, Resetting, Reinstall) without installation media.

Before you go :: Please READ!!

• This solution is for ICONIA W510. But you can apply to another windows tablet that use Atom z2670 (Or other I can't comfirm must try for your own risk).
  • I add W510 Drivers to this image you can use your docking. If you don't have docking you can use USB Hub for more usb port to use with USB Flashdrive, USB Keyboard, USB Mouse.
  • About windows Activated... I'm not guarantee it will activated or not. MUST TRY ON YOUR OWN RISK. It seem product key in UEFI/BIOS not work.
  • This solution will wipe all your storage partition. Please backup your data to your safe place.
  • This solution cannot downgrade to your old windows.
  • This windows 10 is from media creator tool. 
  • It is windows 10 Core Single Language with english version only.(I will add solution to add language to installation later [if i have more time].)
  • If this solution helpful you can buy me some beer!!! Smiley LOL

Download Tools AND Files.

WindowsPE & WIMBoot Image for ICONIA W510.

Need 5 files (file .md5 use for check file hash)

• winpe.iso
  • source.7z.001
  • source.7z.002
  • source.7z.003
  • source.7z.004

Download HERE.

Rufus for create USB Bootable : https://rufus.akeo.ie/

7zip for extract file : http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

RapicCRC for check file hash (IF NEED) : http://rapidcrc.sourceforge.net/

YOU NEED USB Flash Drive 4GB or larger.

Solution....

1. preparing Bootable Media.

Create bootable flash drive using Rufus. See PICTURE.

rufus.jpg

Prepare WIMBoot file

• Extract file "source.7z.00x" using 7zip if it ask for password enter "aphorist".
  • You will see 3 file.
    • partition.txt
    • install.cmd
    • install_wimboot.wim
  • Copy ALL files to Bootable Flash Drive in folder "SOURCE".

2. Preparing Tablet for boot from USB.

1. Shutdown your tablet.
  2. When your tablet shutdown completely.
    ---> Hold down volume down button.
    ---> Then hold down power button.
    ---> When acer screen appear release all botton.
  3. UEFI appear.
    20140629_092648.jpg
  4. Go to Security and set supervisor password.
    (If not you will not able to disable safeboot and can't boot to usb thumdrive.)
    (PLEASE REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORD CAFULLY!!!!)
    20140629_092745.jpg
  5. Go to Boot and set Secureboot to Disable. Then move USB HDD: to upper.
    20140629_092922.jpg
  6. Go to Exit and select Exit saving changes. Your tablet will restart and boot as normally. Please shutdown again.

3. Boot to Windows PE from USB Flash Drive and install Windows 10.

1. Connect your bootable flash drive (From step 1).
  2. For sure you must remove micro-sd card now.
  3. Then power on your tablet. AND Wait.......
  4. In boot process you don't need to do anything it will boot to flashdrive when it completed you will see command prompt. (Some time it boot so long depend on speed of your USB Flash drive.)
  5. Windows PE will look like this.
    winpecmd.jpg
    Thank picture from svrops.com
  6. In the command box. Type.
    > d:
    > cd source
    > install
  7. The script will wipe your drive and recreate it in WIMBoot partition layout then apply image for you.
    Now... need to relax go to rest or just watching the screen. Smiley Tongue
  8. When completed your tablet will reboot automatically.
  9. If windows ask for product key just click skip.
  10. Completed....

FYIK.

• This solution not confirm that you will get windows be activated or not.
  • This windows 10 is "Single Language" edition and in English (United state) language.
    If I have more time I will add solution to add another language later.
  • AGAIN if you like this please buy me some beer.... Smiley LOL

Answers

• akm0001
    akm0001 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Wow! You are the best! ????

In order to make sure that we get an activated Windows 10, before trying this process, one must 'upgrade' their Windows 8.1 using the Windows Update or the "Media Creation Tool" first.
    Then use "Produkey" or similar tool to retrieve the new Windows 10 key and note it down.

P.S. - its not really necessary! (only if you really want to be sure about activation)
  • aphorist

On my try with clean install and update process the product-key is the same.

I don't know what microsoft checke for use to activation process.

I think if you update from activated windows 8.1 before. Your clean installation windows 10 will be activated include solution of this threat.

PS. In this solution I separate install_wimboot.wim from winpe.iso for add upgrade patch in the future.

• alchemist
    alchemist Member Posts: 2 New User

I also use ICONIA W510.

I did follow your step but it found problems.

1. you told to format usb drive as NTFS but it not boot, have to change it to FAT32

2. you told to copy 3 files to directory SOURCE, I did it and when boot and in command prompt. d\source\install
    it not install anyting

3. from 2. in usb drive don't have folder "source" but have only "sources" should I put 3 files in this folder instead?

I did follow your clean install on windows 8.1 and it works. so I decide to get windows 10 but fail.

Please help.

• aphorist

1. In my try i select fat32 ... my flashdrive not boot so I change to NTFS and it boot fine.

You can use fat32 instead of NTFS(If it makable your flash drive to be boot).

2. Yes folder "sources" so i foget the "s" letter.

Important!!

... Flashdrive must be bootable (Yes you can use both fat32 and NTFS but be sure it bootable).

... 3 files "install.cmd, install_wimboot.wim, partition.txt" Must be in "sources" folder.

... Don't forget to remove micro-sd card from your tablet.

• alchemist
    alchemist Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for reply.

I've already change as you said and can install Windows 10 using WIMBoot.
    Unfortunately, it not recognized my license.

I have to re-install Windows 8.1 using WIMBoot (from your previous post) which my license is activated.
    Then update to Windows 10 with Media Creation Tools.
    After that I use Disk Cleanup to clean all installation file and restore file for Windows 8.1.
    Now I got around 20 GB on drive C:

Thank you for your good tips. Wish you all the best.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I suspect that the problem with the Intel GMA has been fixed, at least my W3 which is effectively the same 2760 archetecture as the W510 installed as update, and a W510 should install normally.

For the w3 when Win10 complained about "not enough room" I just pointed it at the 64GB microSD and it put the recovery files there. Why did you need to remove yours ?

Giving it a few days then I'll probably upgrade the 510 as well.

BTW the W3 is handling dual big monitors & the Targus dock on W10 with no problem. Plays video nicely.

• BinnyChan
    BinnyChan Member Posts: 1 New User

I still had Intel GMA issue on my Acer W3-810. Could I know how to resolve it?

I tried to use windows update driver (9.14.3.1177), it works fine in normal windows but failed on W10 App (EG Microsoft Edge - It miss those menu bar icon)

Thanks.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Gave up on the lack of "save as" in Edge, am using Firefox.

• kirankp25
    kirankp25 Member Posts: 49 Troubleshooter

Hi,

I tried this method and also i got my win10 activated automatically couple of mins after installation. Thanks Smiley Happy

• kirankp25

I was not able to reset the device. I was able to reset the device without cd/usb in win8.1 wimboot but in win10 wimboot, it shows to insert external media for resetting.Screenshot (3).png

• kirankp25

Hi,

Can you pls make the same win10 wimboot with the latest update (ie. win10 build 10586). After updating to buid 10586, the free space went from 23gb to 18gb.

• kirankp25

Hi,

Earlier i said that it was asking for external source for resetting device. But i tried resetting after upgrading to latest update-build 10586 and i was able to reset the device without any need of external source Smiley Happy . Also i enabled secure boot on resetting and now i have bitlocker also working fine Smiley Happy .

• aphorist

Glade to hear that.

So my younger brother borrow W510 for working.

I can not do anything for now.

@kirankp25, How about lastest windows 10 on W510? Is it stable ... ?

• kirankp25

Yes, the new update is far better than earlier one Smiley Very Happy . I mean the earlier one i had issues like blank context menu on start, battery pop up will not show when i click on battery icon etc. But in this new update all those issues are fixed.

• kirankp25

it seems that microsoft have pulled out the new update (Build 10586) from media creation tool. But luckily i have downloaded Win10 Home Single Language iso before itself. So if you want the iso in future to make wimboot, i will give you the link.

• kirankp25

I have display driver crashing issue. Sometimes during multitasking, the screen will freeze and BSOD will be shown saying display driver error. It happens atleast 3-4 times a week. Im thinking of installing win8.1 wimboot as i dont think intel is going to provide any further update to our display adapter.... Is keeping win 10 on our tablet (clovertrail)  worth it? Smiley Frustrated  What you guys think ...

• infonix
    infonix Member Posts: 1 New User

HI,

This solution looks great, I also have Acer Iconia w510 32 GB , I tried to download the images but one drive and Google drive links are not working and it says files have moved. Can any one share these files or link.

Thanks

• ChefMaike
    ChefMaike Member Posts: 1 New User
    hello you can give me the link (it doesn't work). I tried to install win 10 (Microsoft link iso).  "Problem error driver intel" I don't understand I'm not a technician (iam chef) tnx friends 
  • Rusovich
    Rusovich Member Posts: 2 New User
    aphorist dijo:

What is this ...

WIMBoot is a feature that we can boot from .wim file instead of extract content to harddrive.

WIMBoot made for computer or tablet that have small size of storage (eg. 32GB OR 16GB) for increase for free storage space. And make device have ability to recover, resetting, reinstall windows without windows installation disk.

After windows 8.1 Updated we can use WIMBoot feature and now I use this feature for windows 10 to boot our Iconia W510 tablet.

(More about WIMBoot : WIMBoot Overview)

(SEE MY PREVIOUS POST ABOUT WIMBoot FOR ICONIA W510 WITH Windows 8.1 Updated : HERE!!)

Screen Shot ...

This picture is system detail as you see windows is activated!

Capture.jpg

This picture show free space after clean install. Around 24GB free space.

In C: drive it have more partition space than windows 8.1 update

02.JPG

As you see Windows C: used around 2.79GB for pagefile and hibernate files.

03.JPG

With my installation. My windows have activated...
    I do not know with your installation it will activate or not, I can't confirm this, you must try for your own risk.

04.JPG

What will you get with this.

• More freespace for your drive. (Around 24GB)
    • Ability to use recovery function of windows (Recover, Resetting, Reinstall) without installation media.

Before you go :: Please READ!!

• This solution is for ICONIA W510. But you can apply to another windows tablet that use Atom z2670 (Or other I can't comfirm must try for your own risk).
    • I add W510 Drivers to this image you can use your docking. If you don't have docking you can use USB Hub for more usb port to use with USB Flashdrive, USB Keyboard, USB Mouse.
    • About windows Activated... I'm not guarantee it will activated or not. MUST TRY ON YOUR OWN RISK. It seem product key in UEFI/BIOS not work.
    • This solution will wipe all your storage partition. Please backup your data to your safe place.
    • This solution cannot downgrade to your old windows.
    • This windows 10 is from media creator tool. 
    • It is windows 10 Core Single Language with english version only.(I will add solution to add language to installation later [if i have more time].)
    • If this solution helpful you can buy me some beer!!! Smiley LOL

Download Tools AND Files.

WindowsPE & WIMBoot Image for ICONIA W510.

Need 5 files (file .md5 use for check file hash)

• winpe.iso
    • source.7z.001
    • source.7z.002
    • source.7z.003
    • source.7z.004

Download HERE.

Rufus for create USB Bootable : https://rufus.akeo.ie/

7zip for extract file : http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

RapicCRC for check file hash (IF NEED) : http://rapidcrc.sourceforge.net/

YOU NEED USB Flash Drive 4GB or larger.

Solution....

1. preparing Bootable Media.

Create bootable flash drive using Rufus. See PICTURE.

rufus.jpg

Prepare WIMBoot file

• Extract file "source.7z.00x" using 7zip if it ask for password enter "aphorist".
    • You will see 3 file.
      • partition.txt
      • install.cmd
      • install_wimboot.wim
    • Copy ALL files to Bootable Flash Drive in folder "SOURCE".

2. Preparing Tablet for boot from USB.

1. Shutdown your tablet.
    2. When your tablet shutdown completely.
      ---> Hold down volume down button.
      ---> Then hold down power button.
      ---> When acer screen appear release all botton.
    3. UEFI appear.
      20140629_092648.jpg
    4. Go to Security and set supervisor password.
      (If not you will not able to disable safeboot and can't boot to usb thumdrive.)
      (PLEASE REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORD CAFULLY!!!!)
      20140629_092745.jpg
    5. Go to Boot and set Secureboot to Disable. Then move USB HDD: to upper.
      20140629_092922.jpg
    6. Go to Exit and select Exit saving changes. Your tablet will restart and boot as normally. Please shutdown again.

3. Boot to Windows PE from USB Flash Drive and install Windows 10.

1. Connect your bootable flash drive (From step 1).
    2. For sure you must remove micro-sd card now.
    3. Then power on your tablet. AND Wait.......
    4. In boot process you don't need to do anything it will boot to flashdrive when it completed you will see command prompt. (Some time it boot so long depend on speed of your USB Flash drive.)
    5. Windows PE will look like this.
      winpecmd.jpg
      Thank picture from svrops.com
    6. In the command box. Type.
      > d:
      > cd source
      > install
    7. The script will wipe your drive and recreate it in WIMBoot partition layout then apply image for you.
      Now... need to relax go to rest or just watching the screen. Smiley Tongue
    8. When completed your tablet will reboot automatically.
    9. If windows ask for product key just click skip.
    10. Completed....

FYIK.

• This solution not confirm that you will get windows be activated or not.
    • This windows 10 is "Single Language" edition and in English (United state) language.
      If I have more time I will add solution to add another language later.
    • AGAIN if you like this please buy me some beer.... Smiley LOL

Hello the download links not work ?? Amy guy can upload this
  • Rusovich
    Rusovich Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello the download links not work ?? Amy guy can upload this