This article only applies to: Acer C710 Chromebook.
If you are getting a "Chrome OS is Missing or Damaged" message when starting your Acer C710, you may try to reseat the hard drive. Please only attempt this if you are comfortable opening the computer and reattaching a cable. If you are not comfortable doing this, please contact Acer support.
Note: Following these steps will not void your warranty. If you physically damage the product during this process, charges may apply to fix the damage.
Use the following steps to remove and reattach the hard drive cable.
- Turn the computer over and remove the battery.
- Break the Acer warranty void sticker to gain access to the screw beneath it. Be advised your warranty will not be voided by removing this sticker.
- Remove the screw beneath the sticker and then slide the panel forward and lift to remove it.
- Locate a white cable that connects the hard drive. You may see exposed gold contacts.
- Pull the black tab out to release the cable and carefully disconnect the cable.
- Completely reconnect the cable and make sure the gold contacts are no longer visible, then push the black tab back in to lock the cable in place.
- Replace the back panel and slide it towards the battery compartment to lock it in place.
- Replace the screw and put the battery back in.
- Power your system on.
If the Chromebook is still not booting normally, please Please contact our Customer Service for additional support.