Why is my Acer notebook experiencing sudden battery capacity drops or freezing at a specific percentage?
You might run into a situation where your notebook's battery percentage indicator:
- Gets stuck at a particular percentage.
- Indicates full capacity, only to experience a sudden drop upon unplugging the power supply.
These symptoms are a sign that your notebook is consistently operating under heavy load or in elevated temperatures, prompting the system to engage the OTP (over-temperature protection) function for extending battery lifespan and preventing degradation due to excessive heat.
Alternatively, consistently operating under heavy load may activate OTCT (Over Temperature Charging Suspend) depending on the platform. Following OTCT activation, the battery indicator shows 100%, even if the actual capacity is below that level.
What to do when the battery percentage indicator suddenly drops or freezes
If you are experiencing a sudden drop or freeze of your battery percentage indicator, Acer recommends:
- Promptly cease notebook usage.
- Shut down your device, allowing it to cool down.
Once your notebook has cooled down:
- Reconnect the power supply.
- Fully charge your notebook.
Your can now power on your notebook again and it should operate as normal.