The Chromebook split screen function is a very useful productivity tool that allows you to micromanage and increase your productivity by having two apps on the screen simultaneously. This can be done using the maximize button, with keyboard shortcuts, or with a touchscreen. Read below to find out how.
How to split screen on Chromebook using the maximize icon
- Open the first app you want to display and click and hold the ▢ Maximize button until arrows appear on each side of the maximize button.
- Click on the < or > arrow that appear on either side of the maximize icon to dock the app to the left or right of the screen.
- Repeat the process with your other app, and dock it to the other side of the screen. Both apps will now display side by side.
How to split screen using keyboard shortcuts
- Open the apps you want to use in split screen mode.
- Press the Alt key and the [ key at the same time to dock an app to the left side of the screen.
- Select the app you want on the right side of the screen, and press Alt + ] to snap that app to the right.
How to split screen using touchpad gestures
- Bring up multiple app windows.
- Swipe up with three fingers on your touchpad.
- Click on an app in the preview of the mini windows and drag to the right or left side to expand them into a split view.