It is important to keep a clean computer screen because the buildup of dirt, dust, and oils is not only unsightly, it can actually affect the visibility of the information on the screen. We recommend regular cleaning of your computer monitor, regardless of whether it is a full-sized monitor, laptop screen, or even a touchscreen, as regular cleaning will greatly reduce the time and effort required to clean your screen in the long run. In short, it is easier to wipe it down every week or two, rather than wait a year to get that grime off.
A basic step-by-step guide to clean your Acer computer screen
- First, Microfiber Cloth: This is the best material to clean your screen. Start by gently using a dry cloth to wipe your monitor clean of dirt and dust. This will not get rid of the oil, but first, clear the way of any surface dust that may be on the screen.
- Next, Cleanser: Use a moist disinfecting wipe or a 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% distilled water solution sprayed on a soft cloth to gently wipe the LCD panel. The cleanser will help dissolve oils and grime, and they will be absorbed by the micro-fiber cloth. You can also try mixing equal parts of distilled water and white vinegar in a spray bottle, and repeat the process as above. The vinegar is not too harsh and does have enough acidic content to help dissolve oils without harming your monitor.
- Finally, Wipe Dry: After you are finished cleaning the computer screen thoroughly, use a dry section of your micro-fiber cloth (or a new one) to dry the surface of your monitor screen. This will help remove streaks and you should be left with a clean and clear screen.
Things to avoid when cleaning your screen
- Avoid spraying any cleaner directly onto the screen, always spray onto a microfiber cloth first, and then wipe your monitor.
- Avoid using paper towels or facial tissues, those can sometimes be harsh and can also leave fiber residue on the surface of your computer screen.
- Do not use any abrasive materials like brillo pads or rough sponges as these can directly scratch the surface of your screen.
- Avoid going too long without cleaning your computer screen, because regular maintenance will be easier to keep up with, and will reduce effort over time.