You may want to factory reset your computer if you are experiencing performance issues, viruses or malware, or if you want to set it up for a new user. Acer computers allow you to restore the system to factory settings without recovery disks or media. You can use the instructions for your specific operating system below to factory reset your Acer computer.
Note: Before attempting a factory reset, you will want to make sure that all data and important information on your computer is backed up to a location that will not be erased during the factory reset.
How to Factory Reset your Windows 11 Computer
- Click the Start menu (Windows icon) and select Settings (Gear icon).
- Select System from the left menu and select Recovery.
- Click on Reset PC.
- Choose your desired restore option:
- Remove everything - Removes all of your personal files, apps, and settings.
- Keep my files - Removes apps and settings, but keeps your personal files.
- Choose how you would like to reinstall Windows:
- Local reinstall - Reinstalls Windows 11 using the image stored on your computer.
- Cloud Download - Downloads the latest version of Windows 11.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the recovery process.
How to Factory Reset your Windows 10 Computer
- Click the Start menu and select Settings.
- Click Update & Security.
- Click Recovery.
- Click Restart now. Your computer will restart and boot to a blue Windows Recovery Management screen.
- Click Troubleshoot.
- Click Reset this PC. Choose your desired restore option and follow the instructions on your screen.
How to Factory Reset your Windows 7 or Windows 8 Computer
- Press and hold the Power key for 5 seconds to power the system off completely.
- Turn on the computer and press the Alt and F10 keys at the same time when the Acer logo appears on the screen.
- You should see a message that says "Please Wait" and your computer will boot to a blue screen that says "Choose an option".
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Click Reset this PC.
- Pick a recovery option:
- Keep my files
- Remove everything
- Click Next and follow the instructions on the screen.