How can I change the drive my computer boots from?
In order to change the order of drives from which your computer will try to start up, you can change the settings in the Basic Input-Output System (BIOS) or use the F12 function key to enter the Boot menu.
Choose one of the following options, noting that the first will change the sequence for every time the system starts up, while the second for one time only:
Changing the Boot order in the BIOS settings
- Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
- Press the RIGHT ARROW key to select Boot.
- Press the DOWN ARROW key to select Boot Order.
- Use the F5 or F6 key to change the order.
- Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.
Changing the Boot order from the Boot menu
- Check that the F12 Boot Menu function is enabled on your system: please visit our knowledge base article .
- Power on your computer. When the first logo screen shows, press repeatedly the F12 key to enter the Boot menu.
- Use the UP or DOWN ARROW key to select the drive from which to load the operating system and press the ENTER key to confirm.