This article only applies to: Aspire A515-51 and A515-51G models.
Some Aspire 5 models include a storage bay that allows for installation of a secondary 2.5" hard drive or solid state drive (7mm HDDs only). Use the steps below to install a secondary drive in your system.
Note: Acer recommends use of an anti-static wrist strap when adding hardware to your system.
- Remove the hard drive and memory access panels (shown in the red rectangles below), then remove the15 screws that secure the lower case.
- Insert a plastic pry tool on the left side, and work your way around the lower case to release the clips holding it in place until all clips have been released. Close the computer lid and completely remove the lower case.
- Locate the Hard drive cable connector on the mainboard (circled below), and install the hard drive cable as shown in the image below. We recommend routing the hard drive cable through the clear mylar tabs (shown in the red rectangles below), if they are present on your model.
- Reinstall the lowercase. Make sure the HDD cable that you will be connecting the new HDD or SDD to is accessible with the lower case installed.
- Secure the 15 screws you removed in step 1
- Install the new hard drive in the hard drive module using the four screws included in the packaging.
- Connect the hard drive cable to the new hard drive.
- Align and install the hard drive module into its slot on the lower case.
- Attach the four screws to secure the hard drive module to the lower case.
- Align the hard drive door latches in the slots on the lower case and press the hard drive door firmly until it is fully seated.
- Secure the hard drive and ram doors.