Activate my ancient Acer (please!) a ZG5

Aspirational
Aspirational Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi. I have an Aspire One from the early 2000s, which I found again in a cupboard during a recent house move.  Pretty sure it has a future bestseller sitting on it.  Plus it’s a small, neat, lightweight machine that I can see myself using.  Two questions:
1. I need to buy a 19v 1.58A power pack but there appear to be two fittings available and I don’t know which I need.
2. I remember that the battery was shot so I ought to replace that, but not sure which one to buy.  
I put the SNID into the Acer site to find out what’s needed, but it said the number wasn’t recognised (and something about Charles Babbage probably owned this machine).  
The model is apparently a ZG5
Thanks in anticipation 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, it's old enough I'm having trouble finding more info than is already out there in reviews and tear downs. IIRC the power supply uses a 1.7X5.5X11 barrel connector, center positive, 30W and 19V as you found. The 5.5mm connector types are fairly easy to find and it won't hurt anything if the supply you find is a higher wattage. 45Ws are much more common than 30Ws. For the battery I'd suggest just doing an Amazon or eBay search, Acer won't have them in stock any longer so the secondary market is your best bet. I believe they offered both 3 cell and 6 cell versions so it's feasible that if you can't find one you might be able to replace the cells in yours. The machine shipped with either Windows XP or Linux, and certainly 32bit. You may be able to run Windows 7 on it but I doubt if you can go much newer than that...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, it's old enough I'm having trouble finding more info than is already out there in reviews and tear downs. IIRC the power supply uses a 1.7X5.5X11 barrel connector, center positive, 30W and 19V as you found. The 5.5mm connector types are fairly easy to find and it won't hurt anything if the supply you find is a higher wattage. 45Ws are much more common than 30Ws. For the battery I'd suggest just doing an Amazon or eBay search, Acer won't have them in stock any longer so the secondary market is your best bet. I believe they offered both 3 cell and 6 cell versions so it's feasible that if you can't find one you might be able to replace the cells in yours. The machine shipped with either Windows XP or Linux, and certainly 32bit. You may be able to run Windows 7 on it but I doubt if you can go much newer than that...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Aspirational
    Aspirational Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks Bill. I bought a battery from the Amazonians and it had the connector in the wrong place - I stupidly hadn’t looked closely at the photo - and the shipping companies don’t seem keen to take a battery back, but now I’ve bought the right one and a battery pack and am up and running. My bestsellers are still sitting there so look out for the first one, called heh Jeff whaddya thinking hospital wifi- it’s just a working title, I’ll tell you if it changes 😀
  • billsey
    Please do... :)
This discussion has been closed.