What is the motherboard generation of my laptop? - Acer 5, A515-51G-70X0

Answers

• iamhamzatahir
    iamhamzatahir Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Leostat said:
    To get the full speed it has to be optane not ahci, ahci can't take full advantage of the drive as it's limiting the number of concurrent ops in theory 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/rst-raid-vs-ahci-single-nvme-drive-theres-a-significant-difference.830629/
    I have tried both but no change in speed.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021
    The card is not using the socket's full capability. If you make any BIOS SATA mode changes to try to change this, please refer to  @egydiocoelho 's earlier post and warning to enable safe mode. You risk corrupting the Windows installation. If it was mine, I'd  probably follow @JordanB 's earlier suggestion. Leave well-enough alone. Unless you always use very high disk-use intensive applications or programs, I doubt you will notice much difference in overall performance for the risk you take in trying to accomodate a budget-class nvme card. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• iamhamzatahir
    edited March 2021
    JackE said:
    The card is not using the socket's full capability. If you make any BIOS SATA mode changes to try to change this, please refer to  @egydiocoelho 's earlier post and warning to enable safe mode. You risk corrupting the Windows installation. If it was mine, I'd  probably follow @JordanB 's earlier suggestion. Leave well-enough alone. Unless you always use very high disk-use intensive applications or programs, I doubt you will notice much difference in overall performance for the risk you take in trying to accomodate a budget-class nvme card. Jack E/NJ 

I have updated the BIOS and changed the settings to RST with Optane according to the @egydiocoelho 's suggestion but the speeds almost remain the same. I think that I will just leave it as it is as suggested by @JordanB , probably the motherboard is old and doesn't allow all 4 lanes simultaneously as you earlier suggested.

Thank you all for you valuable suggestions. If you find any update or solution regarding this issues, please let me know.

Thank you once again.
  • JackE
    I don't think I can find the hwinfo64 result that you posted which shows the PCIe socket itself and the ACER specification suggest it is indeed a full-speed gen3 nvme socket. So it's more likely that the problem is related to the budget nvme card as suggested by others who ran into the exact same problem on other manufacturer's laptops with full speed nvme gen3 sockets. I suggest that you post the issue on an adata-related forum since adata has decided to experiment with a newer gen4 controller specification which is still a bleeding edge work in progress  not fully backward compatible. Quite frankly, I don't think this adata series is ready for prime time release with its controller. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• iamhamzatahir
    JackE said:
    I don't think I can find the hwinfo64 result that you posted which shows the PCIe socket itself and the ACER specification suggest it is indeed a full-speed gen3 nvme socket. So it's more likely that the problem is related to the budget nvme card as suggested by others who ran into the exact same problem on other manufacturer's laptops with full speed nvme gen3 sockets. I suggest that you post the issue on an adata-related forum since adata has decided to experiment with a newer gen4 controller specification which is still a bleeding edge work in progress  not fully backward compatible. Quite frankly, I don't think this adata series is ready for prime time release with its controller. Jack E/NJ

Under the reviews section of this product, I have seen users CrystalDiskMark speeds upto the mark with those claimed by the product but generally I think that this adata series has lots of issues. Moreover, I have contacted adata and there every system is pathetic. From registering a new product to their softwares to their response. I have mailed them several times but no proper response.
    I think that the speeds that I am currently achieving aren't too bad, what's your opinion?

Thank you.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    I agree with you & also with @JordanB.  So, yes, I feel you're doing about as well as can be expected from this card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    In device manager with optane on what does the optane driver version show as :)? The speeds are good but a shame we can't get it faster for you 😄
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021
    I have an Acer 5, A515-51G-70X0, core i7 7th gen laptop. I am planning to install a 512 GB nvme into its motherboard. Now the issue is that I don't know the generation of my motherboard. I am mentioning the motherboard details below, can anyone please tell me its generation, I will be very grateful.
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer KBL
    Model Charmander_KL (U3E1)
    Version V1.10
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model Kaby Lake
    Chipset Revision 02
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model Coffee Lake-U/Y PCH
    Southbridge Revision 21

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​//Edited the content to add model name on title.​

Just to put my 2c worth into this, if your A515-51G's cpu is the model # i7-7500U then the Acer A515-51G service guide states this (see caption below) and recommends only M.2 2280 SATA III type M.2 drives:

Btw, this is an old 3 years old Samsung 850 EVO SSD 2.5" 500GB with CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0 performance figures with TRIM enabled on a 9 year old Aspire V3-571G. 

Your M.2 NVMe's performance figures don't even come close to the above and its like night and day, keep to SATA 3 type M.2's as I've outlined above that is what its designed for as you have something wrong as your M.2 is not even performing at 40% of its potential.

• iamhamzatahir
    Leostat said:
    In device manager with optane on what does the optane driver version show as :)? The speeds are good but a shame we can't get it faster for you 😄
    No need to be ashamed. With matters is your help, and I am very grateful to all of you for your generous help. I am hopeful that we will find a solution.  ;)
    These are what you are looking for?

• iamhamzatahir
    JackE said:

Finally ADATA replied to me saying that check the speeds again and if they persist, we think that the drive will be defected. And that's it.  =)=)
  • iamhamzatahir
    JackE said:

Reply from adata:

• @JackE Where on the model a515-51 service guide did you find this information?

I don't think there is a problem with the ssd. I believe the main board is limited to two lines!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • iamhamzatahir
    @JackE Where on the model a515-51 service guide did you find this information?

I don't think there is a problem with the ssd. I believe the main board is limited to two lines!

There are not the specifications of the model a515-51 but are of the nvme card (XPG Gammix S11 Pro 512gb) that I have bought.
  • Have you tried to update the ssd firmware?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Sorry, I'm not sure where I got it now. Which is why I wanted to see hwinfo64 results. And why I mentioned earlier that I don't think I saw these results for this particular A515-51G-70X0 mainboard. I only saw adata results. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• iamhamzatahir
    Have you tried to update the ssd firmware?
    Yup, but Adata has this pathetic website which always shows server error. I am unable to register my product or download the firmware.
  • JackE
    These CDI-7 results posted by @StevenGen seem oddly high for a 2.5" Samsung SATA SSD? What am I missing? Does CDI-8 show similar results? Jack E/NJ

>>>>Btw, this is an old 3 years old Samsung 850 EVO SSD 2.5" 500GB with CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0 performance figures with TRIM enabled on a 9 year old Aspire V3-571G. >>>>

Jack E/NJ

• iamhamzatahir
    JackE said:
    These CDI-7 results posted by @StevenGen seem oddly high for a 2.5" Samsung SATA SSD? What am I missing? Does CDI-8 show similar results? Jack E/NJ

>>>>Btw, this is an old 3 years old Samsung 850 EVO SSD 2.5" 500GB with CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0 performance figures with TRIM enabled on a 9 year old Aspire V3-571G. >>>>

The look very high. They make my drive look defected. 😂
  • JackE
    They make crystaldiskinfo results look untrustworthy to me.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    JackE said:
    They make crystaldiskinfo results look untrustworthy to me.   Jack E/NJ
    JackE, I've done all these tests twice and again with atto-disk-benchmark-4010f1 (which is the latest and supposed to be the #1 benchmarking test tool for SSD's) and with CBM 8.0.1 that is the latest and with AS-SSD Benchmark latest version (which it says its in English but can't change the language from German to English) and here are all the tests results again, there is not much of a discrepancy between CBM 7.0 to 8.0 or in any of the two test of each.

Its not these benchmarking that are at fault as what iamhamzatahir is getting is a very low score and there is definitely either something wrong with his M.2 drive or his laptop does not support that type of M.2 drive. The A515-51G takes an M.2 type and like this Hynix 256gb Hfs256g39tnd-n210a Internal M.2 SATA SSD Drive that is a B&M key type M.2 (that is listed in the Acer Service Manual, I've attached all the specs from there below) so have a look at that iamhamzatahir as you must have the wrong M.2 drive that is not suitable for your A515-51G, as an M.2 SATA-3 6GB/sec with TRIM enabled will give you the same performance or better than my 2.5" Samsung 850 EVO SSD that I've shown what its performance is like even after 3 plus years of constant use. Good luck and hope this helps.

atto-disk-benchmark-v4.01.0f1 Samsung 850 EVO SSD with TRIM enabled

CBM v8.0.1 for 2.5" Samsung 850 EVO SSD with TRIM enabled

AS-SSD Benchmark v2.0.73 Samsung 850 EVO SSD with TRIM enabled