Acer AspireOne AOD255E - Linpus Lite: How do I get it?

Dumi
Dumi Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hello,
I own 2 Acer AspireOne AOD255E (Intel Atom N455 / DDR3 / no Bluetooth / no WWAN / LiteOn webcam; initial config was Linpus Lite / 1GB RAM / 250GB HDD; but they were upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium / 2GB RAM / 240GB SSD). Now I plan to revert them to the initial config (as I need to move the licenses away), and I need to know how do I get Linpus LIte. (I assumed back then that the included disk contained it, but apparently I was wrong).
Of course, an alternative (tested, functional) would be Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but I would rather go with the very basic-user-friendly OS that they came with. 
Thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    So Linpus Lite is a commercial Linux OS that Acer licensed for those models and others. Most of the AOD255E models shipped with Windows 7 but a few shipped with Linpus. The issue is that those models are now 10 years old and so it's unlikely Acer still has recovery discs to get them back to stock, and Linpus doesn't have downloadable images for non-customers. You are likely better off to just install a different Linux build or to leave W7 on them. I thought they had all shipped with WiFi modules and Bluetooth modules, with the WWAN 3G modules on select models, but I'll take your word for it that some did not.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Dumi

Tinkerer

Hi,
    AOD-13Ccc was with no Bluetooth.
    I tried Linpus 1.7, runs OK, but various menus are not optimized for low res, most of them expecting 800px height. Not many of the Linux distros issued after 2010 can work with no drawbacks on a GUi sized 1024x600 or 800x600, and not many issued before can actually install all the drivers. That's why I was thinking about the Netbook Remix (which was OK on this, but I would still need something even easier to use / restrictive on setting side so kids can use it).
    I need to move the Windows licenses to other PCs, and would not be fair to keep the OS on the netbooks. (Obviously, the Windows licenses are not OEM.)
    It would have been nice to have an ISO or USB image for download, tailored to the specific config and accessible upon SN validation. Will keep.searching, though, maybe some obscure site still have them ;)
    Thanks.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited March 2021
    Archive.org may e your best bet ala ( https://archive.org/details/linux-1.0.9 )  not sure how much i would trust them though! Lipus seems likes its based on Fedora. Could something like Fedora SOAS work for you?  https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/soas/   Ignore that its broken and it doesnt install so no it wouldnt be!
  • Dumi

Tinkerer

Fedora SoaS is 64-bit, so it won't go well. (Pretty sure it was a 32-bit version for a 1GB netbook...)
    Linux 1.0.9 (archive.org) seems to be downloading OK on *****; direct download - not so much (but ***** is enough). Will have to test it to make sure it's for the AOD255/AOD255E versions (Atom N450/N455/N475/N550/N570 CPUs), not the older ones (Atom N270/N280/N2600 CPUs) and not the newer ones (Atom Z, Celeron M, Pentium B or AMD Neo K/C/V series - running also on higher resolutions), and not tampered with.
    Meanwhile I found a link for MeeGo (downloading, hopefully will go OK): MeeGo for Netbooks - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download. Again, hopefully it's for AOD255/AOD255E.