Anyone else wondering what happened to the Chromebook Spin 513?

TinderBox
TinderBox Member Posts: 5 New User
Remember way back in October last year Acer announced the Spin 513? the first Chromebook using the Snapdragon 7c; an ARM processor with good enough performance to not make a Chromebook feels slow. Well, I've waited patiently for its release, I've contacted Acer representatives, and be lied to over and over again (with guaranteed release dates that don't end up happening). If this thing has been nixed, just say so. If it's going to be massively delayed, at least give an indication of when we can expect it. I'm beginning to suspect Acer is getting out of the Chromebook market, given it's been over 6 month since they last released a Chromebook. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    I believe they just started shipping the Spin 7, which is the Windows based version on that platform, so I expect the Chromebook isn't too far out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TinderBox
    TinderBox Member Posts: 5 New User
    The Spin 7 has a completely different chassis, different screen size, and uses a different chip (8cx)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yes, but they are both based on Qualcomm chips and were announced at the same time. I'd expect them take around the same amount of time to come to market. If anything I'd have expected the Switch 7 to take longer, since the Windows software for those chips is new.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • patrickt141
    patrickt141 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    edited May 2023

I know it's late but I bought an Acer Spin 513 with the MediaTek Kompanio 1380 processor two months ago. It was actually manufactured in May, 2022. I live in Mexico and had to wait for Amazon.MX to have it online. I've very satsified with my Spin 513. I came from a Spin 713.

For your information, I'm older than most trees, don't play games on the chromebook and don't edit videos on the chromebook. I write, edit photos a bit, and surf the net. Works great.