Saving a ghastly computer Orion 3000 P03-620 i710700 GTX3070 (JQ6P00H)

Fingarn
Fingarn Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited February 2021 in Predator Desktops

GTX 3070. 

Problem: Throtling, extreme CPU temperature, Extremly noicy computer. Severly dissatisfied with this buy. Extra disturbed by the fact that my son told me not to buy a prebuilt of the shelf product. 
Decision: Start upgrading to see if it possible to save this machine or otherwise it goes to salvage and a rebuild.
Experience level of technician: None. Zero. Whitebelt desktop service guy. 
Todays job: Switch the back case fan from Frostbite (acer TM) to Noctua NF-A9 92mm 15-20 Euro.
Effect: Noice level down from avg 90 to 83. Softer quality of the disturbance. Effect on cpu temp not fully assessed yet. Early indications is no significant effect but tendency to lower temp. Not stress tested yet. 
Complexity of work: low.
Next step: Assess. If ok replace front fan. 

Answers

• Fingarn
    Step 2. Exchanging front fan. Guide to Ramoving front fan in this thread: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/632316/how-to-access-front-fan-orion-3000-po3-620#latest. Note that the headphone hanger needs to be unscrewed to remove the front. Easy replacement of front fan. Exchanged for Noctua NF-A9.

Effects: less subjective impact on noice level. I experience a lower frequency of the sound at full speed. Max fan speed down to 2000. Cooling ok. Not reached cpu temp >95 after replacing fans (yet). Sadly I did not measure noice at the front fan inlet so I cannot benchmark. No difference at the rear fan outlet. 

I would really like to replace cpu cooler but I think it might be to complicated. Appreciate any report from anyone who have replaced the cpu cooler of a Orion 3000 po3-620.
  • Fingarn said:

GTX 3070. 

Problem: Throtling, extreme CPU temperature, Extremly noicy computer. Severly dissatisfied with this buy. Extra disturbed by the fact that my son told me not to buy a prebuilt of the shelf product. 
    Decision: Start upgrading to see if it possible to save this machine or otherwise it goes to salvage and a rebuild.
    Experience level of technician: None. Zero. Whitebelt desktop service guy. 
    Todays job: Switch the back case fan from Frostbite (acer TM) to Noctua NF-A9 92mm 15-20 Euro.
    Effect: Noice level down from avg 90 to 83. Softer quality of the disturbance. Effect on cpu temp not fully assessed yet. Early indications is no significant effect but tendency to lower temp. Not stress tested yet. 
    Complexity of work: low.
    Next step: Assess. If ok replace front fan. 

Hey "Fingarn" change the i7-10700 cpu cooling fan see this "9 Best CPU Cooler for i7-10700K" that would reduce fan noise and also if the sound affects you so much? You can insulate the case with “B-QUITE” type sound deadening sheeting that you can stick inside the case to deaden sound from the case fans. There are allot of steps that you can take to deaden sound, I’m sure that its not such a tragedy as to make you take such drastic actions as "otherwise it goes to salvage and a rebuild' :) as there are very simple solution.
  • Fingarn
    Drar @StevenGen, my challenge is not so much in choosing a cooler for my cpu but rather choosing something that is doable from the conditions and constraints that comes with a Orion 3000 po3-620. 

Anyone with a some real life experience and a guide on replacing the cpu this build please pm or post!

kindest regards
  • Fingarn
    Sadly. Changed both case fans without good effect. Needs throttlestop to keep cpu temp acceptable. Changing the cpu cooler seems challenging and did not improve noice according g to @SeoulFinn

I have now ordered a Fractal Design Meshify 2 and a psu and a noctua cpu cooler. 

This cheap computer just turned expensive. But at least it keeps me busy.
  • Fingarn
    edited March 2021
    Couldn’t get the power connections to work with my new psu. So I have moved back into the original PO3-620 Case. 

• A7max96
    A7max96 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Fingarn said:
    Couldn’t get the power connections to work with my new psu. So I have moved back into the original PO3-620 Case. 

do you need to take out the mother bord and install noctua stock on the back side ?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @smithrobert234224, the Predator Orion 3000 models are desktops, not laptops. You need to look at the actual model you have and post the question int he gaming laptops section.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.