Helios 300 (PH315-51) automatically shuts down exactly on 45% of battery!!

cskLaptop
cskLaptop Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 2021 in Predator Laptops
As the title says, my 2-year-old laptop which has no issues runs fine till 45 per cent on battery, as soon it hits 45% it completely shuts down and doesn't power up it until connected with the charger and after switching it on it starts to charge from 45 per cent and further. I have done the pinhole reset for 30 seconds thrice in a row, opened the laptop and disconnected and reconnected the battery, uninstalled-reinstalled the battery drivers, performed the bios reset and the problem still persists. Its an i5+1060 and out of warranty. This has become my work laptop so temperatures are under 40c (the fans don't even need to start) so no heating issues. The problem only occurs when it hits 45% and the laptop just dies. Any suggestions on how can this be corrected/diagnoses? I am comfortable with opening my laptop.

Answers

• cskLaptop

As the title says, my 2-year-old laptop which has no issues runs fine till 45 per cent on battery, as soon it hits 45% it completely shuts down and doesn't power up it until connected with the charger and after switching it on it starts to charge from 45 per cent and further. I have done the pinhole reset for 30 seconds thrice in a row, opened the laptop and disconnected and reconnected the battery, uninstalled-reinstalled the battery drivers, performed the bios reset and the problem still persists. Its an i5+1060 and out of warranty. This has become my work laptop so temperatures are under 40c (the fans don't even need to start) so no heating issues. The problem only occurs when it hits 45% and the laptop just dies. Any suggestions on how can this be corrected/diagnoses? I am comfortable with opening my laptop.

• Hi,
    Download and install HWMonitor, run it and post the picture of Battery section like my snip.
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

• cskLaptop
    Hi,
    Download and install HWMonitor, run it and post the picture of Battery section like my snip.
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

Below is the SNIP:

• Go to Advanced settings in Power options and see whether you have the settings similar to mine.

• cskLaptop
    Go to Advanced settings in Power options and see whether you have the settings similar to mine.

Exactly similar buddy, except I have chosen low battery action to "sleep". Note : Currently the laptop abruptly dies resulting me in losing all my work.
  • Hi,
    You could try a manual calibration of the battery, also go to Device manager, expand drives, right click your SSD/HDD and select Properties, move to Policies tab and untick the box as highlighted in my snip, you may have to look for a replacement battery in my opinion but please wait for other members' replies as well.
    How to Calibrate Your Laptop’s Battery for Accurate Battery Life Estimates (howtogeek.com)

• cskLaptop
    Hi,
    You could try a manual calibration of the battery, also go to Device manager, expand drives, right click your SSD/HDD and select Properties, move to Policies tab and untick the box as highlighted in my snip, you may have to look for a replacement battery in my opinion but please wait for other members' replies as well.
    How to Calibrate Your Laptop’s Battery for Accurate Battery Life Estimates (howtogeek.com)

This setting is also exactly the same in my machine, I tried calibrating the battery, but as it happens I cannot drain it below 45%, the laptop won't switch on from dying until I connect a charger and it starts to charge from 45% + and further.
  • Hi,
    Please wait for someone else to chime in with some suggestions, I think your battery has served you well for 2 years and may have to be replaced.
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @cskLaptop
    Do understand that you have done most of the possible steps, is it possible to try doing a rest once and check on it, or did you try with a another charger ?
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @cskLaptop

It looks like the battery has gone bad. only if the battery is faulty we get unwanted shutdown. it happened to me once when battery showed as 90%. so check the battery. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • MrLamp
    MrLamp Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same issue with the same model. I've performed pinhole resets multiple times with no success. Here is a screenshot of HW monitor: