SSD Upgrade for Acer Aspire E5-473G-36VY

BonaSetianto
BonaSetianto Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hello Everyone! :)
I just joined this community xD

I want to ask if my laptop can support SSD
Here's my laptop: "Acer Aspire E5-473G-36VY"

A few days ago I tried to replace ODD with an SSD that I just bought. I plan to use the SSD to move my Windows operating system on the HDD. I cloned my operating system which was on the HDD to the SSD. However, when I restart my laptop to enter the bios menu, the SSD is not detected, does my laptop support SSD?

Please Answer :)
Thanks.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK. Try this. Replace the HDD with the SSD. Then try to boot from the SSD alone. Some mainboards only boot from a DVD disc using the DVD connector and will only use a caddied HDD or SSD as an extra drive D : , E : etc but not a system C : drive.

So if the SSD boots OK from the normal 2.5" HDD connector, then it's simply a matter of using the HDD in the caddy instead of the SSD.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• BonaSetianto

Tinkerer

If my laptop does support SSD, then why the bios won't detect the SSD?
  • JackE
    Yes, it should support a 2.5" SSD in a caddy. Please post a phone photo of your BIOS Information tab if possible. What software did you use to try to clone/migrate the HDD system to the SSD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BonaSetianto

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    @JackE I used Macrium Reflect software
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Here's my bios : 

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
  • JackE
    edited February 2021
    The SSD isn't connected. What caddy are you using? Jack E/NJ

Edited the content to hide sensitive information

Jack E/NJ

• BonaSetianto

Tinkerer

I am using this caddy, is there any problem with the caddy? However, the SSD is detected in disk management.

• JackE
    Did you already try to clone the HDD on it?  If yes, temporarily disconnect the HDD. Then try to boot from the SSD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BonaSetianto

Tinkerer

@JackE
    Yes, I already did, but the problem is the SSD won't be detected in bios.
    Well, before I disconnect the HDD, are you sure that if I remove the HDD, the SSD will be detected?

Thanks
  • JackE
    edited February 2021
    Hold on! You have the BIOS in legacy mode! Why did you do this? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BonaSetianto

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    @JackE
    umm, what is that supposed to mean?
    What I'm supposed to do?
  • JackE
    If this machine came from the factory with Win10 or Win8x installed, the HDD will only boot in UEFI mode, not legacy mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BonaSetianto

Tinkerer

@JackE
    So, what am i supposed to do to make the operation system boot from the SSD?

Thanks
  • JackE
    With both the HDD and SSD caddy connected, please boot to the HDD. Then press WIN+R and enter 'winver'. Then post a screeshot of result. Then enter the elevated command prompt. Then enter 'diskpart'. At the DISKPART> prompt, enter List Disk. And then also post a screenshot of this result. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BonaSetianto

Tinkerer

winver : 

diskpart : 

Note : 
    Disk 0 is a HDD and Disk 1 is a SSD
  • JackE
    OK. This is not factory installed Windows. Someone installed WinPro in BIOS legacy mode on an MBR-partitioned HDD. Your SSD is GPT-partitioned and thus won't boot in legacy mode. You have two choices if you want to save WinPro on the MBR partitioned HDD. (1) You can google 'gpt to mbr' and 'freeware' for downloadable software that will try to convert the cloned GPT partitioned SSD to MBR. This might not work because the MacriumReflect cloning was from an MBR HDD to GPT SSD. Not a true clone or migration operation   (2) Or you can use diskpart to clean the GPT SSD and then convert it to MBR. But then you would have to re-clone the HDD with MacriumReflect. This is probably a better way. But it's up to you if you want to try to save time with the GPT to MBR freeware.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BonaSetianto

Tinkerer

Dear @JackE
    I have cleaned the GPT SSD, then changed it to MBR SSD, I have also cloned the operating system on the HDD and moved it to the SSD, but still, in the bios, the SSD still doesn't appear.
    What I've to do?

• JackE
    Temporarily disconnect the HDD. Then try to boot from the SSD caddy. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BonaSetianto

Tinkerer

@JackE
    OK, I already remove the HDD and try to boot from SSD. And this thing show up

Already restart my laptop many time but this thing is still show up

When i remove the HDD, I go to the bios and the SSD Show up, but not in ATAPI CDROM. And when I try to boot it, that happend.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    OK. Try this. Replace the HDD with the SSD. Then try to boot from the SSD alone. Some mainboards only boot from a DVD disc using the DVD connector and will only use a caddied HDD or SSD as an extra drive D : , E : etc but not a system C : drive.

So if the SSD boots OK from the normal 2.5" HDD connector, then it's simply a matter of using the HDD in the caddy instead of the SSD.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BonaSetianto

Tinkerer

@JackE
    Thank u very much bro, appreciate it! :)
    10/10
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ