Acer Aspire touchpad lags intermittently A515 - 54 - 59W2

lebull
lebull Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited February 2021 in Nitro Gaming
A515 - 54 - 59W2

Touchpad occasionally lags.  To be exact, they symptoms are lower cursor speed and responsiveness (at least by ~50% sometimes), sometimes missing quick button presses.  It seems to happen more often and more severely when the computer is under load.  Disabling and reenabling the touchpad via functions keys resolves the issue for usually a few seconds.

Steps I've taken so far:

* Reduce touchpad touch sensitivity
* Reset battery
* Update Elan I2C Filter driver
* Update all the other drivers
* Update BIOS

Help is appreciated.

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I had the same problem recently, after a windows update. First try to reset the bios: press the f9 and f10 keys. Then, click here to redefine the touchpad:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• When you change the touchpad to basic in the bios, does the same problem occur?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • lebull
    There is no touchpad option in either the former bios or the updated bios.
  • Did you buy the laptop recently and is it still under warranty? Have you increased the speed and sensitivity of the touchpad here?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lebull
    The laptop was purchased about a year ago, and it had this problem out of the box.

I have adjusted the sensitivity.

The speed is fine when this issue isn't present.  Again, this happens intermittently and is very blatant, so just increasing the cursor speed is not a fix.
  • This problem when you use the notebook on battery only? Or does it also occur when connecting the power adapter? Also, you know this: It seems to happen more often and more severely when the computer is under load

Have you checked if the processor performance drops in the task manager when the problem returns?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lebull
    It does tend to happen when the computer is under load.
    From what I can tell, I think that it does tend to happen when it is connected to the power supply, thought the behavior doesn't change immediately when plugging and unplugging it.  Maybe 15 seconds before something happens?  FTI, this is the original power adapter that came with the computer, and I am plugging it directly into the wall to try to isolate out as much as possible.
    I haven't picked out any real instances of CPU drop while this is happening.  I'm guessing you're looking to see if it's throttling, and if that's so, it may still be relevant as it tends to stay pretty hot.
  • when you activate safe boot and restart windows, does the same problem occur?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lebull
    I was able to reproduce this behavior in safe mode when I opened about 20 chrome tabs of a local pdf.

FTI, CPU was still essentially idling during this.
  • zec
    zec Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    lebull said:
    A515 - 54 - 59W2

Touchpad occasionally lags.  To be exact, they symptoms are lower cursor speed and responsiveness (at least by ~50% sometimes), sometimes missing quick button presses.  It seems to happen more often and more severely when the computer is under load.  Disabling and reenabling the touchpad via functions keys resolves the issue for usually a few seconds.

Steps I've taken so far:

* Reduce touchpad touch sensitivity
    * Reset battery
    * Update Elan I2C Filter driver
    * Update all the other drivers
    * Update BIOS

Help is appreciated.
    same problem, did you fix it? 
  • lebull
    same problem, did you fix it?
    Negative, all the information I have is in this thread.
  • lebull
    @egydiocoelho What is another thing I can troubleshoot?  This hasn't been resolved.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I had the same problem recently, after a windows update. First try to reset the bios: press the f9 and f10 keys. Then, click here to redefine the touchpad:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lebull
    Giving it a little time to judge, but I think this worked!

@zec 

-----
    stumbling on this, I had to adjust one more setting to get the touchpad to respond the way I expect it.

FTI, for anyone else 
  • lebull
    @egydiocoelho This problem relapsed today.
  • @lebullIt would be interesting for you to check if optional windows updates provide a driver for the touchpad.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lebull
    edited February 2021
    @egydiocoelho
     Same blasted version of the Elan I2C filter driver.  Would rather use window's drivers if they even halfway worked at this point.

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cantthinkofanickname
    cantthinkofanickname Member Posts: 3 New User

I had the same problem, it wasn't the sensitivity, bios, update, I know cause I updated to windows 11 and like everyone wanted to go back so I fully reset and reverted to win10 with an ISO, and I had the problem still. I think my problem is the same, its when I move it, it takes a second and when I go to click something its still lagging and unusable and my temporary solution was to press the touchpad disable button and turn it back on which would work until I restarted (f7 on Aspire 5) but it wasn't updating the driver, I had to install a new one that I found at Download Acer Support Drivers and Manuals and haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps anyone with the problem...

• Starfleet
    Starfleet Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited December 2022

Experiencing this issue on an Aspire A515-43 - Elantech 13.6.15.1

This problem began a few months ago when I was still on W10. I've since upgraded to W11, and the problem persists. I've tried every solution in this thread, and I'm ready to pull my hair out. I'm currently scouring this community for further solutions, but I figured I'd drop my own experience for posterity's sake and see if anyone has anything new to share.

*Touchpad cursor lags intermittently. It's not a sensitivity issue, this thing is CHUGGING. Even scrolling using the 2-finger gesture occurs at a harsh delay.

*Currently on a brand new installation of Windows 11.

*My Windows 11 is completely up to date as of 12/7/2022, using default drivers provided by Microsoft save for the touchpad driver I list below.

*I was PREVIOUSLY experiencing this issue on the Windows 10 and Windows 11 default Elantech drivers, the latest of which was 13.6.19.X I believe. I have tried updating the BIOS/Chipset Drivers/etc. from the Aspire A515-43 drivers page to no avail.

*I am CURRENTLY experiencing this issue on the W11 Elantech 13.6.15.1 driver found on the Aspire A515-43 drivers page, which I rolled back to (again) just to give it another shot. Unsurprisingly, rolling back to this version didn't help this time either. As far as I can tell, the W11 driver is the exact same driver signed 2019 used for the W10 version despite being dated 2022/02/24. I truly have no idea why Acer lists the date on their drivers as the date they uploaded it and not the date the driver was signed. (https://www.acer.com/au-en/support?search=01905857434;NX.HG8AA.001;A515-43&filter=global_download)

*It seems to occur more frequently when the computer is under load, but I can also be doing absolutely nothing and still experience it at 1% load. I am sitting here now at 59 degrees Celsius 5% CPU, 50% Memory, 0% Disk, 1% GPU with no programs open except chrome and this website, and I am experiencing intermittent touchpad delay as if my laptop is running a marathon. It also occurs with Chrome closed.

*Disabling and reenabling the touchpad via Fn-F7 while experiencing the heavy delay fixes the issue from anywhere between 5 seconds to 5 minutes.

*Perhaps unrelated, but it'd be a big coincidence--I began experiencing a crackling audio issue around the same time that also remains unresolved. I have tried W11 audio drivers as well as the Realtek drivers from the page linked above, as well as various other Windows Settings and google solutions. The problem persists through Bluetooth speakers I know work fine with other devices, so I assume it's a software/firmware/driver/whatever issue. It's bad enough audio is essentially unusable.

• @StarfleetCan you tell me the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer