SF314-42 doesn't wake up from sleep mode, Windows restarts instead, please help!

Answers

• JaimeDLH
    JaimeDLH Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon
    The BETA bios is not available for download like this.
    The customer who received this had to waive recourse claims in writing, if something goes wrong.

The new bios should be out soon, only a few new files are currently added because of the Windows 20H2.

Best Regards,
    Acer-Carsten
    Community Administrator
    Thanks a lot for the information! Much appreciated. Good to know that the Acer team has been looking into this (and that they read these forums  :) ), and that the release date may be close.

Best regards!
  • AnimeshSahu
    AnimeshSahu Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    The BETA bios is not available for download like this.
    The customer who received this had to waive recourse claims in writing, if something goes wrong.

The new bios should be out soon, only a few new files are currently added because of the Windows 20H2.

Best Regards,
    Acer-Carsten
    Community Administrator
    Oh nice! Any estimation when would it arrive :O ?
  • JaimeDLH
    Oh nice! Any estimation when would it arrive :O ?

The sooner, the better. This issue was first reported (here on the forums, at least) on May 2020. We know that there's already a prerelease fix, which seems to successfully solve the problem, being tested since at least a month ago. So we have lived for a long time with this serious issue, and seeing as there is a solution seemingly at hand (which has been provided to its customers months ago by other brands affected with the same problem) only makes us more anxious to finally get our hands on it.

While there are workarounds for this problem (such as using only hibernate instead of sleep), they are far from optimal. Each time I close my laptop's lid, there's a ~16 GB write to my SSD (because of hibernation), and restarting is not instantaneous as it would be with proper sleep.

Please Acer Support Team, I'm completely aware that widely releasing such a fundamental pieces of software as a BIOS update is not trivial, and must be very thoroughly tested, but any efforts to accelerate the process would be very appreciated, just as providing an estimated time frame for release would be too.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    On the other hand, if they rushed it out there is a significant chance they'd find an issue with it very quickly when the users started installing. Better that it's fully robust so there's no reasonable chance of bricking an botched install...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JaimeDLH
    billsey said:
    On the other hand, if they rushed it out there is a significant chance they'd find an issue with it very quickly when the users started installing. Better that it's fully robust so there's no reasonable chance of bricking an botched install...
    Especially with something as important and low-level as the BIOS, yes. I fully agree. The thing is that, reportedly, other brands affected by the same problem have released their fixes months ago (I can only suppose they had been closely working with AMD on the fix). Acer must release a BIOS update only after it has been fully tested and certified, but again, the sooner, the better  :)
  • ilkercnsy
    ilkercnsy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi everyone, it didn't take me long to end up here after receiving my laptop 2 days ago. 
    But in my case, I don't use any kind of virtualization service so I disabled all the related stuff in BIOS in order to have a proper sleep function but no luck, laptop cannot wake up from the sleep anyway.
    Am I missing something with unsuccessfully disabling Hyper-V? Any feedback will be appreciated. 
  • Captain_Champi
    Captain_Champi Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

ilkercnsy said:
    Hi everyone, it didn't take me long to end up here after receiving my laptop 2 days ago. 
    But in my case, I don't use any kind of virtualization service so I disabled all the related stuff in BIOS in order to have a proper sleep function but no luck, laptop cannot wake up from the sleep anyway.
    Am I missing something with unsuccessfully disabling Hyper-V? Any feedback will be appreciated. 
    When you install Windows 10 with built-in Acer functionnalities (and also ***** soft), did it crashed ?
    I mean, you installed the latest drivers maybe and your regular programs and then boom it fails to enter sleep mode, isn't it ?

Try to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 (with usb key and the Microsoft tool) to first sure that you remove all the ***** from Acer "pre-built" Windows 10 (I've done that multiple times because I gave my computer to the repair service 2 times)
    Btw you will also get out the 'beep' when you connect the PC with AC/DC cable ;)

The first time when I personally get this sleep problem is when I activate WSL2.
    In the task manager, is virtualization off? You can also deactivate/untick Hyper-V and other VT things from Windows Features (see screenshot, it's in French but I'm sure you will find it, there's 2), click OK and reboot your computer

/HS/
    You can save the Acer real utilities from this kind of page (https://www.acer.com/ac/fr/FR/content/support-product/8263?b=1&pn=NX.HSEEF.005), in the App/Soft part you will find Quick Access and Acer Care to limit battery at 80% (Care Center>Parameters>Check>Battery Health>(2/3)) and fan speed (Quick Access), and also get back the A/1/NumLock watermarks at the top of the screen (very useful !)

Also once it's done (installing programs + drivers), you can get a full image disk of your Windows with this useful video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9BGn4MivJw ; my image disk is about 45GB)
    /HS/
  • Captain_Champi

Tinkerer

ilkercnsy said:
    You're not obligated to reinstall Windows, ofc, if you find a way to repair sleep function it'll be alright!
    I wanted to say that removing junk apps from your PC (reinstalling Windows is easier) would be better to start work with your machine :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    If you are going to try a vanilla install of Windows, make sure you create a system bare metal backup first, so you can get back to fully stock when you find it doesn't change the behavior.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ilkercnsy
    ilkercnsy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for all the suggestions, nothing worked for me but reinstalling the Windows 10. All the virtualization services are disabled and now the laptop can go to sleep and wake up without problem. 
  • AnimeshSahu
    Any updates now?
  • Captain_Champi

Tinkerer

Any updates now?
    Not yet, I'm very patient since september but this might make me angry if they do nothing this month  :s
  • kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited March 2021
    After installing Docker computer started to crash after sleep. Had to manually uninstall Docker and WSL2 from Feature list.
  • JaimeDLH
    Heads up guys! BIOS 1.09 has just been posted in the Support Page. Gonna try it now...!
  • AnimeshSahu
    Wow, nice to hear indeed! Thank you Acer!
  • Zechs
    Zechs Member Posts: 3 New User
    I just bought my acer swift 5... Having same problem with u guys... Black screen when start up, keyboard cannot function too. Hope new bios can help
  • JaimeDLH
    Zechs said:
    I just bought my acer swift 5... Having same problem with u guys... Black screen when start up, keyboard cannot function too. Hope new bios can help
    Hi, these aren't the same problems being discussed here (this is about the laptop rebooting by itself after entering sleep, when you have virtualization options in use). Also, this thread is about a different model than yours (Swift 3, specifically model SF314-42). The BIOS I mention is specific for this model, so it would not apply to yours (a Swift 5).
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • pcamantea
    pcamantea Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I can confirm it's working. I've renabled virtualization in the BIOS, I have WSL2 up and running and Sleep function is working fine.
This discussion has been closed.