Gateway P-6822 - Finding Correct Bios Upgrade

Chris_N
Chris_N Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
I have a Gateway P-6822 that I recently upgraded from Vista 32 bit to Win 10 32 bit. The current bios revision is 94.25. There is a new bios in the downloads section for this machine listed as 94.28. However the bios "read me" file says its applicable to the P-6822 part number 1014778R. My machine appears to have part number 1014779R (Full number is xxxxxxxxxxxx). The first 8 digits recommend end in 8R. The first 8 digits of my machine end in 9R. So is this bios suitable for my machine? Your advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards

*Applicable Part Numbers:
snip...
P-6801m - 1015522R
P-6822 - 1014778R
P-6825 - 1014978R
snip...

[Edited comment to delete unique information]
Edited the content to hide personal information

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    In this case, it is not advisable to update the bios, as the changelog only mentions that model. Now, about the problem with the wireless network card, what is the exact model?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• I do not think so. this update should be to fix something related only for that specific device.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Chris_N

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    Thank you for your answer. That is probably the case. But I am wondering if the P-6822: 1014778R and the P-6822: 1014779R could be the same machines. The bios update may allow me to upgrade the ram from 2Gbt to 4Gbt. 

Kind regards

• Both models have the same motherboard. But it seems that the bios version corrects something specific only for those models. What is the problem with your notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Chris_N

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    Thank you for your help. I have upgraded this laptop to Win 10 64 bit. There were some small problems*. Usually the latest bios is better. So that's why I was wondering if I should install it. 

Kind regards

* The wifi disconnects after rebooting

• Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    In this case, it is not advisable to update the bios, as the changelog only mentions that model. Now, about the problem with the wireless network card, what is the exact model?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Chris_N

Tinkerer

Thank you for your help. There were 2 problems after upgrading this laptop to Windows 10 64 bit. 

1- The screen brightness could not be changed. This problem was solved by installing a Windows 7 64 bit graphics driver in compatibility mode.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29370?v=t

2- The WiFi disconnected every time the laptop was rebooted. If the laptop is shutdown and then started the WiFi reconnects normally. But if the laptop is rebooted than the WiFi will not connect. If I try to manually connect it gives an error, "Cannot connect to this network". If I open Microsoft edge and run network diagnostics then it fixes the problem by resetting the WiFi adapter. But the next time it is rebooted it will happen again. I have tried the suggestions here but they did not work:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-not-connecting-after-restart/4bdd6052-6fd0-479e-9b42-eff2a86d2988

I was fixing this laptop for a friensd and I have given it back now. So I am not sure what Intel WiFi adapter is found in device manager.

If you have any suggestions, I can take the laptop back and try them.  Thank you for your help.

Kind regards
    Chris    
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited February 2021
    Are you looking at the possibility of getting to the driver with the driverbooster?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Chris_N

Tinkerer

Thank you for your advice. The WiFi adapter driver might be the problem. When my friend gives me his computer again, I can try this.

Kind regards
    Chris
  • Chris_N

Tinkerer

Thank you egydiocoelho. Today I was able to take the laptop back. I followed your advice and installed Driver Booster. It installed about 22 new drivers including new WiFi Drivers. Now the problem is fixed! The WiFi reconnects automatically after rebooting. Thank you again for all your help!

Kind regards
    Chris
  • You are welcome.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

This discussion has been closed.