Acer Aspire 5930g boot loop

Juan2887
Juan2887 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter
edited January 2021 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
Help, I have an old Aspire 5930g, that when I turn it on, the windows logo appears, but it turns off and starts again, I have tried to do a clean installation, but it restarts when I try to do something, I have seen that it may be problems temperature, but I have already tried to refrigerate, clean, change the thermal paste and nothing, they say that the gpu is defective, or that the bios is outdated, I have tried everything, but nothing, if someone could help me I would appreciate it very much.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Remove charger and battery. Then disconnect the HDD from the mainboard. Plug the charger and battery back in. Do you now get a no bootable device screen that doesn't try to restart?

If not, re-connect the HDD.  Then remove one of the memory modules and try it again. If still nothing, remove the other memory module if two are installed.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Juan2887
    When I boot it up, it jumps into NetworkBoot mode and stays there.  I have tried booting with an external HDD (without the internal installed) and the same happened as at the beginning.  What I can do?
  • JackE
    >>>When I boot it up, it jumps into NetworkBoot mode and stays there. >>>

You can't boot from an external HDD unless it's a bootable HDD in a DVD caddy or bootable thumbdrive. Do you have either to test without the internal HDD installed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Boot into the BIOS and make sure things are stable there without a restart happening. If it's good there then the issue is likely in a Windows driver, either corrupt of the hardware associated with it fubar. I'd be most inclined to guess the GPU is the issue. IIRC you have a NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. The next step is to boot from a Windows install image. If that works we can try some repair of the OS that's on the machine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Juan2887
    The problem is that I don't have a system installed, and it won't let me do it from my laptop.  I was thinking that the problem may be with the GPU so I removed it but the laptop did not start.  I have a new intel core 2 duo T8100 and I am thinking of changing it for the one that comes with this laptop (I have seen that it is compatible), which is not known if the T8100 has integrated graphics to replace the Nvidia card.  Is it a good idea or will it not work?
  • Juan2887
    In the past I tried to restore the old system (Win 7) but when it is finishing it shuts down and a few seconds later it turns on and tries to continue with the restore but it turns off again and so on all the time.  So I changed the disk for a new one and I tried to install windows 10 but almost in the middle, it turns off (as if the power had gone out) and then it starts again and continues with the installation, that's how it is all the time.

• JackE
    >>>So I changed the disk for a new one and I tried to install windows 10 but almost in the middle, it turns off (as if the power had gone out) and then it starts again and continues with the installation, that's how it is all the time.>>>

So why don't you let it continue? A Win10 installation must re-boot itself sometimes 5 or 6 times before it's fully installed.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Juan2887
    It is not a normal restart, it is as if the light went out, I have been looking at it well and it turns off without more, as if you disconnected it from the power, I have left it for a few hours to see if it could be installed but nothing
    Sorry for my English is from the Translator because I am Spanish
  • JackE
    ¿Qué edad tiene la batería? Jack E/NJ

How old is the battery? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Juan2887
    Is from 2008, so...  13 years, but I think the batery is not the problem
  • JackE
    Remove the battery and try to run the laptop on the charger alone. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Juan2887
    It dosn't work
  • JackE
    edited January 2021
    Lo sentimos, la vida útil de los iones de litio es de aproximadamente 9 años, incluso si no se utiliza. Necesita reemplazar su batería. Su capacidad de mAhr de carga completa es solo una pequeña fracción de su capacidad de mAhr de diseño completo original. No puede mantener una carga por mucho tiempo. Google '5930g' y 'batería' para proveedores que realizan envíos a su ubicación. Aproximadamente $ 20 USD por una nueva batería de repuesto. Jack E/NJ

Sorry, Li-ion shelf life is about 9 years even if not used. You need replace your battery. Its full charge mAhr capacity is only a small fraction of its original full design mAhr capacity. It can no long hold a charge. Google '5930g' & 'battery' for vendors who ship to your location. About $20USD for a new replacement battery. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Juan2887
    Ok, but this laptop can't work whitout battery?
  • JackE
    ¡¡¡Si!!! Es por eso que quería que lo probaras solo con el cargador sin la batería. Debe tener una batería que pueda mantener la carga. Su batería vieja no puede contener la carga necesaria. Es posible que tenga otros problemas con esta computadora portátil. Pero la batería vieja es al menos una de ellas. Jack E/NJ

Yes!!! That's why I wanted you to test it on the charger alone without the battery. It must have a battery that can hold a charge. Your old battery cannot hold the necessary charge. You might have other issues with this laptop. But the old battery is at least one of them. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Juan2887
    ok, thanks, buy a new battery and test if it works.
  • JackE
    Por favor. Háganos saber de una forma u otra. Jack E/NJ

Please. Let us know one way or another. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Juan2887
    Hello again.
    Last week, I received the battery, I installed it, I waite for the battery indicator of the laptop turn green, and, later, i start the laptop. unfortunately the same thing kept happening and the battery didn't fix anything. Any other idea???
    Thank you and sorry for writing so late
  • JackE
    Can you access BIOS menu with F2 at boot time? If yes, please post a phone photo of BIOS INFORMATION tab if possible? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Juan2887
    edited February 2021
    sorry for taking so long. Here are the photos of my BIOS menu

Edited the content to hide sensitive information.