Aspire X1900: Stopped loading

Renyin
Renyin Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I have a Acer Aspire X1900 which is hardly used.   Upgraded to window 10 a couple of months ago and it was working fine.
A couple of weeks afterwards, it stopped loading.   When I turned the computer on, I hear a short beep and all I get on my screen is  "Acer empowering people" and at the bottom left screen showing Del: Enter Setup.  F12:  Boot menu but nothing happens when I did Del or F12.   Anyone knows how to fix or can it be fixed?   Thanks in advance.

[Title edited to include topic issue]

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Renyin
    Do you have a W10 repair disk or previously stored a system image ? If so, you can try that.

Or when boot up, hold down the "ALT" key and press F10 key a few times a second  until you get the menu ( I doubt if this option is available for your PC model).

If everything fail, you can try a clean W10 install.
  • Renyin
    I downloaded the W10 into my USB flash drive.   I just noticed that although I can power on my PC, it is not responding to my keyboard and mouse, in other words it is not reading my USB drive, does it mean I have a hardware issue? 
  • ttttt
    @Renyin

Was W10 worked properly with the USB flash drive previously? Try another keyboard and see if the PC still not responding to it.
  • Renyin
    Thanks for the quick response.   I have another working PC that I downloaded the W10.   I also tested my keyboard and mouse on the working PC before connecting to the non working Aspire and that is when I noticed the keyboard and mouse are not light up therefore maybe an issue with the USB drive.
  • ttttt
    @Renyin

You mentioned that you "Downloaded the W10" ( not install), something wrong with the process that caused some problems with the flash drive? Was that download from another PC?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Check the make sure the keyboard is working. You won't be able to get into the BIOS if it's out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Renyin
    That's the problem, my keyboard is brand new and I already tried it on another working PC.   When I connected to my non functioning PC, it is not responding and I feel maybe the issue is with the USB drive.
  • ttttt
    @Renyin

Since your X1900 is decade old+ and I suppose you have tested the keyboard with all  different USB ports (probably a dead USB port). If the keyboard is a PS/2 one, you still can test it with an USB-PS/2 adapter.

If problem persist, then I'll say the PC has come to the end of it's life if not replacing the motherboard.
  • Renyin
    OK, I will see if can find a PS2 keyboard or an adapter and give a last try.   Thank you for your suggestions.
  • ttttt
    @Renyin

If you do not have existing PS/2 keyboard and adapter, I would say save the money and apply that money for the future PC.
    Current lower end desktops using DDR4 memory with about 2400Mz-2666Mhz , PCIe 3.0 expansion slots , 9th or 10th generation Intel CPU and can use ( probably not included in the PC package)  M.2 NVMe Solid State Drives can be acquired at around US $500. Higher end PC will use PCIe 4.0 slots , even doubling the speed pf PCIe 3.0. 

Once you use the M.2 NVMe SSD you probably won't go back to spinning HDD, as M.2 NVMe SSD is many times faster than the old SATA spinning HDD. You will appreciate how much time you save each year with the new PC in comparison with the old X1900.