ACER Switch 12 (SA5-271) will not turn on, solutions?

KirstiK
KirstiK Member Posts: 3 New User
Tried to turn it on this morning and nothing. The blue light on the power button IS ON, but computer is not responding to button presses. Tried power, power + volume up, for 10 seconds, for 30 seconds, nothing. Blue light stays on, no response from computer. 

I read in another thread that you can wait until the battery dies but that takes forever. I have tried plugging things into the USB port to try and drain charge faster, but it will not charge. Will charge for approx 3 seconds after plugging in then charging will stop. 

Anyone experienced this and have a solution? 

Answers

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • KirstiK
    Egydiocoelho, 

It is not a laptop, it is more of a tablet. Its my understanding from browsing others questions (and a scan of my device) that the Switch 12 does not have a battery/hard reset button. :(  

Thank you for your comment though! 
  • Have you checked the keyboard and battery connector?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    If you haven't taken your Switch Alpha 12 apart then the keyboard connector is likely still seated. If you have taken it apart then there's a real good chance that cable is damaged, since it's so fragile. You should be able to force a power down by a long press of the power button, disconnect the charger first and you'll be able to see the power off because the blue light will go away. Once it's powered down for sure, plug the charger back in and try turning it on.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • KirstiK
    OPs Update: 

I left it unplugged for two whole days until the blue light finally went out - battery completely dead. Plugged it in - and orange (low battery) light on - yay! Pressed power button for 3 seconds - turned blue light - it was turning on - yay! Put tablet down and nothing happened - *sigh. No whirring of motor/disk sound, no screen, nothing. Light stays blue. Unplugged it and light stayed on. Tried 30 second hold, 30 sec pwr + sound down, 30 sec pwr + sound up, nothing. 

Tried to follow the YouTube video to take apart the screen from the back, and I could not for the life of me get the screen and the back apart - scratched the ever-loving heck out of the top of the tablet. Brought it into the local computer repair shop this AM so hopefully they will call soon and will have fixed it. I bought it in 2017 so I am way over warranty time. 

• billsey
    Let us know what they find. And I scratched mine the first time I took it apart also... :) At least it's not the new Switch 7, which requires two big suction cups to pull the case apart...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • borkokrz
    borkokrz Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    edited February 2021
    Do you have any solution to that? I've similar issue with SA5-271 N16P3 that I can't turn on. One day the Windows froze - no reponse to mouse, keyboard, even clock didn't changed in the taskbar. I've long pressed power button to shut it down and now I'm unable to turn in on. When I press power key blue light stays on for about 20 seconds then it goes off. The display is off and won't turn on. I've also tried all that power/volume up buttons methods without a success. I've managed to open case and disconnect battery connector for whole night. Nothing changed. Any other ideas? 
  • @borkokrz have you checked the dc-in connector?https://youtu.be/4y14aSj_VWI
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• borkokrz
    @egydiocoelho I've already checked this. Seems fine to me. When I plugin the charger, the LED turns orange so it is charging battery. 
    @KirstiK Did you manage to fix your Alpha? 

Does anyone have any resolution to described problem? 
  • Are there any power interruption buttons, similar to this one, anywhere on the motherboard? Look on the back of the motherboard as well:
    AN 515-52-52BW dando tela azul e desligando sozinho como proceder  Acer  Community

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Try disconnecting the lithion battery, disconnecting the ssd and make sure the computer starts up.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• borkokrz
    It does not starting. After connecting external power LED goes blue. I can switch it off/on with power button. There isn't any other reaction, screen in particular. I've also tried with bootable Linux disto USB connected - also without any success.
  • billsey
    Try turning it on, so the blue light it lit, then just let it sit for a day or two. If the issue is an overcharged battery that will slowly drain it back down to where it's usable.
  • borkokrz
    @billsey I can't do that. As I stated previously on battery power the LED goes blue only for few seconds. Then it turns off. 
  • Try draining battery power with a usb device. For example:
    Lmpada Usb Led Luz Branca Base Colorida 5w Luminria  Mercado Livre

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• borkokrz
    I don't see anything. Even RAM is soldered onto PCB (I was hoping to switch RAM). Do you think any power distribution button would help? I've already tried to disconnect battery and leave PCB without power for few weeks. Everything should reset. 

There is nothing visible on the other side. Just like in this offer https://m.pl.aliexpress.com/item/33023828230.html. As you can see the price of PCB is quite expensive. 
  • borkokrz
    edited December 2022

Small update. I've managed to buy second unit with broken glass and switch motherboards between them. Now I've one correctly running unit. Something bad must have happened to my original one, cause even the HDD seems to be also damaged. I've tried to leave it with new motherboard and access my data. Windows is starting but it isn't running stable. The event viewer is full of badblock errors.

• billsey

Good to know, thanks for the update.