Problem with my Acer 5 Nitro 5 AN517

Jason1976
Jason1976 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Hi all

2 days ago I recieved my Acer Nitro 5 AN517 Core i7-9750H 8GB 256GB RTX 2060 17.3 Inch. Was very happy with the laptop, until I ran into a problem this evening. I am really hoping its nothing.

I was on my laptop this evening, and the battery was running very low. It went into some sort of emergency battery mode. So I started to charge the laptop and carried on playing minecraft. I was trying to sort out the raytracing, so the game was using alot of juice. The message about the battery came up again after about 5 mins, and when I looked, the orange light for charging was not on. So I turned of the laptop, took the adapter out and plugged it back in, and the charging light did not come on. 

So, I took the plug of of the socket, and plugged it back in again, and started charging, and the orange charging light came on.

After about 10 mins, I put my laptop on again, and started playing minecraft. After about 5 mins, I looked, and the orange light was off again, so I took out the adapter, and turned off the laptop. I plugged the adapter in again, and lime last time, the orange light did not come on. So I took the plug out from the mains again, and plugged it back in, inserted the power cable again, and the orange light came back on to show it was charging.

I did not put the laptop on again, as I am going to bed, and will let it fully charge. What could be causing this problem? And why is it when I take the plug out from the mains, and plug it back in again it starts to charge.

I hope someone on here can tell me what is going on, and I hope it is not a faulty laptop or charger. I got it from laptops direct in the UK. I am covered for 3 months, but will be a pain if I have to take it back, so I am hoping there is a normal explanation for this issue.

Edited to hide the Personal information
Acer-Erick

Answers

• Jason1976

Tinkerer

Has anyone else had the same issue, or know what might have caused this?
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    playing games can still lead the battery to get drained, so what probabley happened is you got to ~10%, plugged the ac in which caused it to draw more power and continue draining the battery. Charge it to full and it should be fine

If it caps at 80% dont panic! this is to extend the life of the battery and can be turned off if you really want to 
  • Jason1976

Tinkerer

So you think there is nothing g faulty going on here?
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    it doesnt sound it from how you have described it, the cut off and needing to re plug could be a bettery protection mechanism. I would charge it to full, and see what the drain while playing is. 
  • Is the problem still occurring? Is your model an517-51?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jason1976

Tinkerer

Yes the model an517-51. I just charged it ladt night. It was fully charged in the morning, but have been busy, so have not put it on yet today. 

It's just weird that I had to unplug it from the plug socket, and plug it in again for it to start charging. I have a three month gurentee, so I will see how it goes.

The charging adapter is strange too because you have to put the adapter in at a certain angle for it to go in. I am not used to that.
  • Jason1976

Tinkerer

So, I was playing minecrat rtx with the charger plugged in, so I did not take the charger out, and it was fine, and I was hitting around 80fps.

My daughter is playing minecraft right now unplugged, and it's on hitting about 20 fps. The batter went down to 20% so I plagued in the charger, and the fps went up to 80fps, but the charger orange light only stays on for about a minute, and turns off, the the fps goes down to 20 fps again.

I really do not know what to do. I unug the charger from the if socket, and plug it in again, and the orange light turns on and it started to charge, but then in a minute or so, the orange light turns off and stops charging.

Anyone else had this problem?

• Have you checked the bios version?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jason1976

Tinkerer

Have you checked the bios version?

If I am honest, that completely went over my head. Can you please tell me what you mean by this? I am a newbie when it comes to this :(
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Hit the Windows key and start typing "system information". When it shows you the icon for that hit enter and it will be loaded. Look at the entry for BIOS Version/Date and see if it's 1.25 or later. Let us know the result.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jason1976 said:
    So, I was playing minecrat rtx with the charger plugged in, so I did not take the charger out, and it was fine, and I was hitting around 80fps.

My daughter is playing minecraft right now unplugged, and it's on hitting about 20 fps. The batter went down to 20% so I plagued in the charger, and the fps went up to 80fps, but the charger orange light only stays on for about a minute, and turns off, the the fps goes down to 20 fps again.

I really do not know what to do. I unug the charger from the if socket, and plug it in again, and the orange light turns on and it started to charge, but then in a minute or so, the orange light turns off and stops charging.

Firstly, is this Nitro 5 AN517 a "refurbished laptop or new"? The best thing is to do a "battery calibration" especially if its a refurbished laptop or even a new one. Have a look at these steps of "How to Calibrate Your Laptop Battery" and if your problems still persists after you have done the calibration then, its either your DC power jack plug and cable that needs replacing (as you have those sorts of symptoms) or your battery needs replacing and/or your charger needs replacing. So take it back, tell them the problems/symptoms and insist that those things are looked at and replaced under warranty, simple.
  • Jason1976

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Hit the Windows key and start typing "system information". When it shows you the icon for that hit enter and it will be loaded. Look at the entry for BIOS Version/Date and see if it's 1.25 or later. Let us know the result.

Thanks. The bios version is V1.28 09/03/20.

I have just kept it plugged in now, which is better for playing games any way. 
  • But does the problem still occur?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Jason1976

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    But does the problem still occur?

Hi

I am going to do what Stevengen said and see what happens :)
  • Jason1976

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Jason1976 said:

Firstly, is this Nitro 5 AN517 a "refurbished laptop or new"? The best thing is to do a "battery calibration" especially if its a refurbished laptop or even a new one. Have a look at these steps of "How to Calibrate Your Laptop Battery" and if your problems still persists after you have done the calibration then, its either your DC power jack plug and cable that needs replacing (as you have those sorts of symptoms) or your battery needs replacing and/or your charger needs replacing. So take it back, tell them the problems/symptoms and insist that those things are looked at and replaced under warranty, simple.
    Hi Steven

I will do that when I get the chance and let you know. It was a refurbished laptop from laptops direct. 
  • Jason1976

Tinkerer

Sorry for the late reply. After doing all the suggestions given to me, and still having the same problem, I decided to undervolt the laptop. I done this about 3 days ago, and since then, had no problems at all.

Also, it's fantastic because before when I played hellblade and minecraft with Ray tracing shaders, but laptops temp would hit 85/90 after a little while. Now it rarely hits 80 when playing these games :)