Can I connect two additional monitors to my TravelMate TMP214-52

MichaelForward
MichaelForward Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in TravelMate and Extensa
I have a TravelMate p2 TMP214-52 and would like to connect two additional monitors so I can extend and work over the two additional screens - Can this be done?  

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Your TravelMate has an HDMI port that allows you to add one monitor, and it supports DisplayPort over USB-C for a second. So you can have three screens active at once. You likely aren't going to have gaming performance with that many going at once, but it should be just fine for pretty much everything else. If you decide you are too stifled by only having the three screens, you can get docking stations for the USB 3.0/3.1 ports that will allow even more screens. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Clarence_Stellar
    Clarence_Stellar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Dear Sir,

But when 1 monitor is connected via HDMI & 1 via VGA, only 1 was detected when attempt, why is that so?

Best regards
    Clarence
  • MichaelForward

Tinkerer

HDMI doesn't work - you need to connect 1 monitor with the VGA port and 1 monitor via the USB-C port- You may need to get an adaptor from Amazon depending on what cables you currently use with your monitors.
    Nothing else other than this will work to operate two monitors, only the VGA and USB-C ports. The laptop will not recognise HDMI with an extra monitor.
  • Clarence_Stellar
    Clarence_Stellar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Dear Sir,

That USB-C port, can we also use USB-C to HDMI cable?

Best regards
    Clarence
  • MichaelForward

Tinkerer

Yes. As long as you use the VGA and USB-C ports on the laptop you can use whatever adaptors you like. I use a VGA to VGA cable in the VGA port, and a DVI-D to DVI-D cable with a DVI-D to USB-C adaptor in the USB-C port. 
  • PJF1965
    PJF1965 Member Posts: 2 New User
    can you connect 2 monitors using a USB-C to double HDMI and also the VGA to connect 3 screens?

• MichaelForward

Tinkerer

So with your laptop screen you'd have 4 screens? Thats just greedy! I really don't know but I doubt it - just get bigger screens!
  • MADKuzia
    MADKuzia Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited June 2021
    So, it turns out that I cannot connect 2 additional monitors using only HDMI and D-SUB (on my TMP215-52 D-SUB turns off when HDMI is connected)? I have to use a USB TYPE-C to HDMI or USB TYPE-C to D-SUB adapter?
  • MichaelForward

Tinkerer

HDMI doesn't work - you need to connect 1 monitor with the VGA port and 1 monitor via the USB-C port- You may need to get an adaptor from Amazon depending on what cables you currently use with your monitors.
    Nothing else other than this will work to operate two monitors, only the VGA and USB-C ports. The laptop will not recognise HDMI with an extra monitor.
    This is the only way it works!
  • MADKuzia
    MADKuzia Member Posts: 2 New User
    This is the only way it works!
    No, I just ran some tests, any combination of (monitor connected via VGA(D-SUB) or HDMI) and (4K TV connected via USB-C to HDMI adapter) works!