Does the Aspire TC-875-UR11, -UR12, & -UR13 Use a Standard ATX-spec PSU?

colloquor
colloquor Member Posts: 2 New User
I have not been able to get a confirmed answer from any online dealers if the TC-875-UR11, -UR12, and -UR13 series use a standard, full-size ATX-spec PSU.  It appears the TC-895-UA92 uses possibly a smaller footprint TFX-spec PSU, while a number of manufacturers are implementing the new ATX12VO-spec PSU.  I intend to purchase a TC-875-UR13 for my grandson, and add a Seasonic Plantinum 550W PSU ATX-spec PSU along with a Nvidia GTX-1660 video card for gaming.   TIA...

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The Aspire TC-875 uses one of the new style ATX12VO power supplies. There aren't yet a lot of third party options for upgrading the supply, though there will be eventually since the ATX12VO is the new standard Intel has set. The footprint is the same as the old style ATX supplies, but the voltages and connectors are different. The TC-875 comes with a 300W supply and Acer offers 500W in other models, but I haven' yet seen one larger than that.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    The Aspire TC-875 uses one of the new style ATX12VO power supplies. There aren't yet a lot of third party options for upgrading the supply, though there will be eventually since the ATX12VO is the new standard Intel has set. The footprint is the same as the old style ATX supplies, but the voltages and connectors are different. The TC-875 comes with a 300W supply and Acer offers 500W in other models, but I haven' yet seen one larger than that.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • colloquor
    colloquor Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you billsey.  I appreciate the expeditious answer to my question.
  • Kennyblitz
    Kennyblitz Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2023

I am new here but I think I can answer some of the many questions about upgrading the ACER TC-875-UR12.

I bought the unit a year ago without knowing that it is severely limited it its ability to be upgraded. My budget is nearly zero dollars but I very much enjoy playing the Diablo games online. I added the extra ram and installed an old Radeon graphis card that runs on bus power and it played the games much better but the newest game is coming out soon and the PC did not test well for a minimum spec build.

Soooo….I bought a discounted solid gear 600W PS for about $24 and pulled the MB out of the case and mounted it in a donated full tower case along with the power supply. As some of you know, the MB has unusual 12V connectors. The PS has only two connectors. One 4 Pin and one 6 Pin The wires are black and white. The new PS lacks these connectors so I metered the leads and they turned out to be +12v (white) and ground (black).

I cut off the connectors from the 300W PS ,snipped the wires from the 600w power supply connectors and wired them to the original connectors that fit the MB. Black to black and yellow to white.

There is a green wire from the PS that is a power supply signal that tells the PS that is has a load. I attached this to ground (black).

The PC booted right up with plenty of connectors for extra cooling fans.

I wanted a serious upgrade for my graphics so I obtained another (donated ) card. A EVGA GTX770-OC. This card requires bus power along with an 8 pin power connector and a 6 pin power connector.. These are wired the same with yellow to white and black to black. There were enough spare wires from the 600W PS to attach to a couple of the right connectors from my junk box.

The Frankenstein rig booted right up and I installed the drivers and NVIDIA software for the new graphics card. It is MUCH more powerful now. The best the old GC woul do was 40FPS in Diablo 3. The new one was passing 150FPS right off the bat. I limitedthe FPS to 60FPS to lower the running temp to 53C and the the bottleneck between the processor and GC has completely disappeared. I am VERY pleased with the results.

I do want to add a few FYIs:

The fans continue to run when you close windows down and you must use the power strip switch or the power supply switch to totally kill the power to the rig.

The resulting wiring snarl is unattractive when viewed through the glass panel on the side…but that does not concern me.

The MB is EUFI and will not work without a EUFI enabled graphics card. Many older cards are not EUFI The GTX 550TI will not work in my rig. So research online and be sure that everything is EUFI enabled.

The original front ports are part of the MB and are not available exept in the original case. you have to use the rear ports.

THe small black and white wires leading to the case front ate bluetooth antenna. you might want to study how they are achored in order to maintain aa good bluetooth signal.

I had fun doing this modification. If you try it you will be pleased with the results!

Kennyblitz

• looper
    looper Member Posts: 1 New User

@Kennyblitz

I am in the exact same boat here. I have a 600W power supply that I want to use with this case. So the 4-pin is not the problem, correct? I should be able to use the 4-pin on the power supply.

if the other connector with the 6-pin configuration is the problem. If that is the case, which connector did you use from the new PS with 600W power to wire to the 6-pin that was on the older PSU?

Did you use a 4-pin from the 600W PSU and just attached the extra white cable to the ground "Black"? or did you do something different?

• billsey

You have to wire the 24 pin connector on the PSU to the 6 pin connector on the MB. You will use two 12V wires and the PS_On wire. along with appropriate return grounds.