X6660G parallel port pin-out I assume there is "hardware behind that header"

orbanp
orbanp Member Posts: 8 New User
Hello Everyone,

New here, so be gentle ;-)

Just got a Veriton X6660G system and in the process of setting it up. Nice complete package for what I need.
Looking inside the computer I noticed that it has a parallel port on the motherboard, a dual row of headers, but it is not connected to the back-panel.
I assume it only needs a cable to do that that I can make up easily.
Unfortunately no motherboard manual is available that would list the pin-out of that header...

Could someone from Acer please post the pin-out of that dual row header?
I assume there is "hardware behind that header" otherwise it would not be on that sticker about the motherboard inside the cabinet.

Thanks, Peter
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    I don't yet have the service guide to your Veriton X6660G, but normally that would be a 26 pin header that would match 1:1 with the 25 pin parallel port. Similar to this:

httpsistackimgurcommf530png

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • orbanp
    Thanks for the reply, and for moving the post into the right forum!

The header connector layout looks a bit different in my computer, it is the pin at the end which one is missing, according to the drawing above.
    It would be pin 25, if that is the top view of the connector on the motherboard.
    That would make sense, in a way, a flat cable could be installed simply, just 25 lines, leaving out the last.
    Again, assuming that it matches the D-Sub 25 connector pin out at the other end.
    And yes, the Device Manager shows that there is a parallel port at the standard address.

Thanks, Peter

• billsey
    I was able to get access to the service guide, but I don't see a parallel port on the motherboard. Can you tell me which header it is?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • orbanp
    Hi billsey,

Many thanks for the picture!
    This is the one pasted inside the cabinet, except that is in BW and quite small!

The picture shows that the LPT is connector number 5, just behind the SDRAM modules.
    Now, if just there was a listing of the pin outs of this connector!

Thanks, Peter
  • billsey
    OK, the pinouts should be normal for a parallel port. Ribbon cable to DB-25 should work.
  • orbanp
    Thank you very much for the help!

Regards, Peter
  • billsey
    Let us know what you end up using the parallel port for... You can't get printers for them anymore, but maybe you are doing something like CNC with Mach3? :)
  • orbanp
    Again, thanks for the help!

I did make a cable, I did find among my junk a flat cable with a 26-pin header connector and a 25-pin female D-connector that would take a flat cable.
    I have not tested it yet, just measured that the grounds are at pins 18 - 25, so the cable should be fine.
    I hope to use it for an LPT-based ISP programmer, that is a serial, in-circuit, series programming interface for the ATMEL and AVR processors. That interface was running on my older computer that has now expired. Though I have my doubts about that program running under W10.
    I now have the USBASP programming interface but that only seems to work with the AVR processors and not with the ATMEL processors.
    It uses the AVRdude program, AVRdudess on Windows.
    There are some subtle differences between the AVR and ATMEL processors, and even though there is a section describing the particular ATMEL processor in the avrdude.config file, it does not seem to be working.
    I also do have an older Canon inkjet printer with the Centronix interface...

Question about the memory slots.
    There are four slots, in groups of two of black and blue sockets.
    Right now there is one 8GB module in there.
    If I decide to get another 8GB memory module to expand the memory to 16GB, does it go next to the existing module, occupying the blue and black slots, or does it go into the second same color socket?

Thanks, Peter
  • billsey
    Here are memory specs:
    If you pair up modules using the socket colors, you will get the dual channel benefits. I'm guessing you have 2666MHz memory now...
  • orbanp
    Thanks for the info on the memory slots, saved it for future reference!

Too bad that the manual you are quoting from is not posted.
    Not sure what does ACER achieves by not posting it.
    You called it a "service manual", but obviously there is nothing to service/repair on that board, it is strictly replacement.
    If that service manual is anything like other service manuals from ACER there is probably nothing in it beyond the vital user information and results of some test program that is not available.

Thanks, Peter
  • Veloricca
    Veloricca Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2023

Hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone ever try adding gpu on a veriton x666