windows 7 BSODing when downloading big files

ibvvuki
ibvvuki Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
hello! so, i wanna downgrade to windows 7, because windows 10 is kinda not the best OS. the laptop i wanna install windows 7 on is a acer aspire 7740, but one problem came to myself. when i try to download big files like: 2gb, 4gb, etc, it just crashed and just goes in a BSOD. any help?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Boy, that's an oldie, vintage 2010 or so? You have something going on other than the OS if it's crashing on downloads. Are you using wireless or a wired connection? I'm thinking you likely have a corrupted network driver.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,692 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021

hello! so, i wanna downgrade to windows 7, because windows 10 is kinda not the best OS. the laptop i wanna install windows 7 on is a acer aspire 7740, but one problem came to myself. when i try to download big files like: 2gb, 4gb, etc, it just crashed and just goes in a BSOD. any help?
     =)  =)=)  of course you want to "downgrade to windows 7" as the 7740 would be a slug on Win-10  =) my advice is that you either upgrade your Aspire 7740 or get a new second hand laptop. Also this "because windows 10 is kinda not the best OS" of course its not with the OEM specs of your Aspire 7740 =)  look and I know that the 7740 came OEM with Win-7 Premium but, its not the answer to your problem(s) as you will be getting into allot of troubles down the track if you go the Win-7 route anyway.

My advice to your (whatever and however you want to take it?) is for you to upgrade your Aspire 7740, if you want to keep it or invest in this laptop? I don't know what is the exact OEM specs of your Aspire 7740 but and if its the i3-330M CPU and its integrated graphics (btw the OEM graphics has a display resolution of 1600 x 900, which is pretty acceptable for today)  with the 4GB DDR3 Memory (2GB x 2GB) and spinner HDD and no BT then you can upgrade your 7740 to the following and make it a very workable laptop.

1. The Aspire 7740's mobo is a Socket G1 so its CPU can be upgraded and changed, I would upgrade the OEM CPU i3-330M to at least a i5-480M or best would be a i7-640M, that will be much faster and compliant. 
    2. Upgrade the 4GB (2x 2GB) RAM to 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3-1333MHz 
    3. Put a 2.5" SSD of whatever capacity that you want?
    4. Upgrade the WiFi only card to a WiFi/BT card.
    5. Do a "Clean Install" of Win-10 with the "TRIM" command to speed up your SSD even further and make it Win-10 compliant.

As I've said, I don't know the exact specs of your 7740 but, the upgrades that I've suggested would make your 7740 laptop Win-10 version 20H2 compliant and a 200% faster laptop for minimal cost, that is if you are prepared to invest anything into this laptop? Good luck.
  • ibvvuki
    ibvvuki Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:

=)  =)=)  of course you want to "downgrade to windows 7" as the 7740 would be a slug on Win-10  =) my advice is that you either upgrade your Aspire 7740 or get a new second hand laptop. Also this "because windows 10 is kinda not the best OS" of course its not with the OEM specs of your Aspire 7740 =)  look and I know that the 7740 came OEM with Win-7 Premium but, its not the answer to your problem(s) as you will be getting into allot of troubles down the track if you go the Win-7 route anyway.

My advice to your (whatever and however you want to take it?) is for you to upgrade your Aspire 7740, if you want to keep it or invest in this laptop? I don't know what is the exact OEM specs of your Aspire 7740 but and if its the i3-330M CPU and its integrated graphics (btw the OEM graphics has a display resolution of 1600 x 900, which is pretty acceptable for today)  with the 4GB DDR3 Memory (2GB x 2GB) and spinner HDD and no BT then you can upgrade your 7740 to the following and make it a very workable laptop.

1. The Aspire 7740's mobo is a Socket G1 so its CPU can be upgraded and changed, I would upgrade the OEM CPU i3-330M to at least a i5-480M or best would be a i7-640M, that will be much faster and compliant. 
    5. Do a "Clean Install" of Win-10 with the "TRIM" command to speed up your SSD even further and make it Win-10 compliant.

As I've said, I don't know the exact specs of your 7740 but, the upgrades that I've suggested would make your 7740 laptop Win-10 version 20H2 compliant and a 200% faster laptop for minimal cost, that is if you are prepared to invest anything into this laptop? Good luck.
    i mean, i have the laptop for quite a while. i think for 10 or 9 years or so. and the reason why i wanna downgade to windows 7 is that i tried different gpu upgrades (from windows not internal) and got past the rx 580, and then it made the laptop just go in like a bsod and not bootup properly. i do have a 240gb ssd in the laptop itself i got out a hp notebook 15 energy star and like swapped the hard drives between each other. i may like go to windows 8 or windows 8., since they work perfectly fine tho.
  • billsey
    Windows 7 won't help with the issues involved with using the newer GPUs. Those are related to the UEFI BIOS that's needed to allow them to work. Your computer is old enough that it doesn't support UEFI. But the GPU shouldn't have anything to do with transferring big files over the network.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ibvvuki said:
    StevenGen said:

i mean, i have the laptop for quite a while. i think for 10 or 9 years or so. and the reason why i wanna downgade to windows 7 is that i tried different gpu upgrades (from windows not internal) and got past the rx 580, and then it made the laptop just go in like a bsod and not bootup properly. i do have a 240gb ssd in the laptop itself i got out a hp notebook 15 energy star and like swapped the hard drives between each other. i may like go to windows 8 or windows 8., since they work perfectly fine tho.
    Firstly, what is this mean "i tried different gpu upgrades (from windows not internal)"and got past the rx 580, and then it made the laptop just go in like a bsod"? As the 7740 only has an internal integrated gpu the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD Graphics, where does the RX580 come from? Are you using a eGPU setup (external gpu) and monitor? As what you are saying is confusing. 
  • billsey
    Ah, I forgot he had a laptop, since this is the desktop section... :)