DTS: X Ultra can't be installed in Acer Predator Helios 300 PH31 after clean installation of windows

deepanshuc
deepanshuc Member Posts: 20 Networker
Hello,
I'm unable to install the DTS: x ultra that came with my laptop. I was facing issues after upgrading my windows to 20H2 which's why I did a clean installation of 20H2 and downloaded and installed the drivers from here "Product Support | Acer India" but DTS :x ultra didn't install. Then I looked inside the Realtek driver files and I found the appx package of DTS: x ultra. So I tried installing from that package but it failed with this error

I have also tried installing it from the Microsoft store(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dts-x-ultra/9n0h1m8j1308?activetab=pivot:overviewtab) but again it also failed to install.
Note:-
  1. When I installed all drivers I was able to install the DTS Sound Unbound but it is very different from DTS: X ultra and the laptop came with both of them.
  2. I have a recovery drive with Factory os of the laptop so I'm using that older version of windows till the problem is resolved.
  3. I have already contacted Acer and Microsoft about this but they both failed to find a solution and they were just making me go round and round. So, I'm hoping if anyone from the community has a solution for this.
Thanks in advance.
Laptop - Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-53

Best Answer

Answers

• iamsrc
    iamsrc Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I have the same problem. How did you get the recovery drive with factory OS?
  • deepanshuc
    iamsrc said:
    You should have created a recovery drive when you first started your laptop. Now If you did a fresh install and completely removed the old os then there is no way to get it back. But if you just uninstalled the program or just upgraded then you can choose the option "reset this pc" to have the factory-installed apps and settings back.
    Now if you did a fresh install(no trace of old os) then you have these options:-
    1.Contact Acer support and they will send someone to install the os for you but there is a high chance that they will fail to install the DTX ultra x and will give vague reasons for failing to install like it is not supported in this version of windows, it is not required, etc which are completely false and baseless.
    2.If you have this same laptop model "Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-53" then I can send you a link to download the recovery drive I created on the first start. Note:- this method will only work with a 32GB Pendrive because as there was no way to back up my recovery drive I had to completely clone my 32GB Pendrive.
    If you want to proceed with the 2nd step then let me know as I don't want to upload this large file without any reason.
  • Deejssj
    Deejssj Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have similar problem. 
    I have Predator Helios 300 (i7-10750H/ RTX 2060/ 144 Hz). The thing is I upgraded the 256gb OS SSD with a 1TB SSD by visiting the acer authorised service center. The guy didn't install drivers for me and did a clean install. I have recovery of the OS made moments before they upgraded the SSD. 

DTS X:Ultra and its adjustments in Predator Sense aren't there now. Tried installing all the possible sound drivers from acer's website, but to no avail can't install/ it won't work.
    Also, the microsoft store shows DTS X:Ultra as a owned app but can't install.

Please help out.
  • Deejssj
    @deepanshuc What do I do? Please read the above post.
  • deepanshuc
    Deejssj said:
    @deepanshuc What do I do? Please read the above post.
    Sorry I mistakenly marked your answer as correct.
    You can use the recovery drive you created before upgrading SSD to install the old os that came with the laptop and then perform an update to the latest os through windows update. In this way, you won't lose any of the apps and settings that came with the laptop.
  • iamsrc
    iamsrc said:
    You should have created a recovery drive when you first started your laptop. Now If you did a fresh install and completely removed the old os then there is no way to get it back. But if you just uninstalled the program or just upgraded then you can choose the option "reset this pc" to have the factory-installed apps and settings back.
    Now if you did a fresh install(no trace of old os) then you have these options:-
    1.Contact Acer support and they will send someone to install the os for you but there is a high chance that they will fail to install the DTX ultra x and will give vague reasons for failing to install like it is not supported in this version of windows, it is not required, etc which are completely false and baseless.
    2.If you have this same laptop model "Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-53" then I can send you a link to download the recovery drive I created on the first start. Note:- this method will only work with a 32GB Pendrive because as there was no way to back up my recovery drive I had to completely clone my 32GB Pendrive.
    If you want to proceed with the 2nd step then let me know as I don't want to upload this large file without any reason.
    Can you help me on how to create a recovery drive. I have not done a fresh install yet. Just reset after the latest update as I was facing issues with windows.

If you have the factory OS, can you share the link to it. My model is PH315-53 (helios 300 2020 model) with i7 10750h and RTX 2060.
  • deepanshuc
    iamsrc said:
    Can you help me on how to create a recovery drive. I have not done a fresh install yet. Just reset after the latest update as I was facing issues with windows.

If you have the factory OS, can you share the link to it. My model is PH315-53 (helios 300 2020 model) with i7 10750h and RTX 2060.
    If you want to create a recovery drive then you should first reset your laptop to stock to avoid backing up the changes you made or apps you installed. 
    Resetting the laptop:-
    1. Go to search and type reset this pc and then open reset this pc. It will open the recovery settings.
    2. Now click on get started and select remove everything. Don't fear it will not remove the data of other drives, but it will only wipe the data of windows drive which includes the desktop, downloads, pictures, and documents so make sure to take a backup if you have something important on them.
    3. Now The additional settings on the next screen should look like this 
    4. After the reinstallation complete go to search and type "clean" and then open "disk cleanup" as run as administrator. This and the next steps are necessary as they remove the old installation and temporary files so that you don't get them in the backup.
    5. Then select the "C" drive(the drive where windows are installed) and click ok.
    6. Now select every checkbox and click ok.
    7. Now restart the pc.

Creating a recovery drive:-
    1. Insert a Pendrive that is bigger than 16GB. (Yes I know windows suggest a 16GB but in my case, I found it exceeding 16 GB as it has a lot of programs and drivers preinstalled. Also, note that this process will format the Pendrive).
    2. Now type "recovery" in search and open "recovery drive".
    3. In it, you need to check the "Backup system files to the recovery drive" otherwise it won't backup any programs.
    4. Now click next and select the drive and click next. This will initiate the backup and it will take a lot of time so keep the laptop on and turn off the laptop sleep mode(To do that, go to the search and type "sleep" and then open "power and sleep settings". In this set sleep timers to never.)

When the recovery drive creation completes removing the Pendrive and keep it safe. But if you don't want to keep the pendrive busy and want to take a backup of it in the laptop then follow the next process.

Backing up the recovery drive:-
    1. Search imageusb on google and open the link which contains osforensics (usually the first link).
    2. On this page, you will find a download button, click on it and it will download a zip file.

3. Now extract the zip file into a folder and run the imageUSB.exe.
    4. In the program step 1 select the USB drive which contains the recovery.
    5. In step 2 check the "Create image from USB drive" radio button.
    6. In step 3 choose a location where you want to store the image.
    7. Now click create and wait some time as it is going to take time to complete. Once it's complete it will report you about that.
    8. After the backup of the recovery drive, use this same program to format it correctly. For that in step 1, select the drive. In step 2, check the "Reformat USB drive" radio button. In the last step, click reformat, and then you are done.
  • deepanshuc
    Steps to create recovery drive fro the imageUSB created image:-
    Note you will be required the same size of USB drive which you used at the time of creating the backup of the recovery drive.
    1. Open the imageUSB tool.
    2. On step 1 select the USB drive you want to use to write the image on.
    3. On step 2 select the "Write image to USB" radio button.
    4. On step 3 select the image you created using this tool of the recovery drive.
    5. On step 5 select write and then you are ready with the recovery drive.

Steps to install windows from a recovery drive:-
    1. Insert the recovery drive.
    2. Hold shift while pressing restart.
    3. This will open a blue screen where you have to click "Use a USB device".

4. On the next screen click "EFI USB device".

5. On the next screen click "US" OR "The keyboard layout you use".

6. On the next screen click "Recover from a drive".

7. On the next screen click "Just remove my files".

8. On the last screen click "Recover" and then the installation will start and windows will get back to the same state the backup was created from. Note this step will take a long time.

• deepanshuc
    I will later post a link to download the recovery image created by me using the image tool.
  • iamsrc
    iamsrc said:

If you want to create a recovery drive then you should first reset your laptop to stock to avoid backing up the changes you made or apps you installed. 
    Resetting the laptop:-
    1. Go to search and type reset this pc and then open reset this pc. It will open the recovery settings.
    2. Now click on get started and select remove everything. Don't fear it will not remove the data of other drives, but it will only wipe the data of windows drive which includes the desktop, downloads, pictures, and documents so make sure to take a backup if you have something important on them.
    3. Now The additional settings on the next screen should look like this 
    4. After the reinstallation complete go to search and type "clean" and then open "disk cleanup" as run as administrator. This and the next steps are necessary as they remove the old installation and temporary files so that you don't get them in the backup.
    5. Then select the "C" drive(the drive where windows are installed) and click ok.
    6. Now select every checkbox and click ok.
    7. Now restart the pc.

Creating a recovery drive:-
    1. Insert a Pendrive that is bigger than 16GB. (Yes I know windows suggest a 16GB but in my case, I found it exceeding 16 GB as it has a lot of programs and drivers preinstalled. Also, note that this process will format the Pendrive).
    2. Now type "recovery" in search and open "recovery drive".
    3. In it, you need to check the "Backup system files to the recovery drive" otherwise it won't backup any programs.
    4. Now click next and select the drive and click next. This will initiate the backup and it will take a lot of time so keep the laptop on and turn off the laptop sleep mode(To do that, go to the search and type "sleep" and then open "power and sleep settings". In this set sleep timers to never.)

When the recovery drive creation completes removing the Pendrive and keep it safe. But if you don't want to keep the pendrive busy and want to take a backup of it in the laptop then follow the next process.

Backing up the recovery drive:-
    1. Search imageusb on google and open the link which contains osforensics (usually the first link).
    2. On this page, you will find a download button, click on it and it will download a zip file.

3. Now extract the zip file into a folder and run the imageUSB.exe.
    4. In the program step 1 select the USB drive which contains the recovery.
    5. In step 2 check the "Create image from USB drive" radio button.
    6. In step 3 choose a location where you want to store the image.
    7. Now click create and wait some time as it is going to take time to complete. Once it's complete it will report you about that.
    8. After the backup of the recovery drive, use this same program to format it correctly. For that in step 1, select the drive. In step 2, check the "Reformat USB drive" radio button. In the last step, click reformat, and then you are done.
    Thanks a lot!! 😄😄 I'll do this right away!!

@Deejssj @iamsrc Hello, I finally found working steps to install DTS X Ultra after a fresh/clean installation of windows. Now we don't need to depend on the factory os for full utilization of this laptop. But still, remember that you will require the factory os to use your free one drive and some trial version of the software so make a recovery drive.
    Steps to install DTS X Ultra after fresh installation:-
    Note:- I know these steps may sound vague but they work so follow the same sequence okay :) 
    1. Run the windows update and let it complete. (Why? Because if you directly try to install the audio driver then it will throw an error stating "specified path not found")
    2. After this download the Realtek audio driver from the Acer product support page.
    3. Extract it and then run the setup.exe.
    4. It will first uninstall the driver installed by windows and then restart.
    5. After restart it will automatically ask to proceed with the installation and then it will restart again to complete the installation process.
    6. Now after that restart open the Realtek audio driver folder and open this location \Win64\ThirdParty.
    7. Now from here follow the same sequence:-
    a. Run this file "Install_DTSAPO4x_Acer_DTSX_Ultra.bat".

b. Open this folder "DTSXUltraHSA_1.7.3.0_x64_bundle.appxupload_Windows10_PreinstallKit_beta". Here Run "Setup_APP.cmd" and then go back to the "ThirdParty" folder.

c. Open this folder "DTSXUltra_UWP_APO4x_HSA_MSFT_SIGNED_v1_7_0_0_RS6_release". Here right click "dtsapo4xultrahsa.inf" and select install and then go back to the "ThirdParty" folder.

d. Open this folder "DTS_UWP_APO4x_RPCService_MSFT_SIGNED_1_4_5_0_RS6_rel". Here right click "dtsapo4xservice.inf" and select install and then go back to the "ThirdParty" folder.

e. Open this folder "DTS_UWP_APO4x_MSFT_SIGNED_ACER_EXT_1_1_27_0_release". Here right click "dtsapo4Acerextensionpkg.inf" and select install and then go back to the "ThirdParty" folder.

f. Open this folder "DTS_UWP_APO4x_Core_MSFT_SIGNED_1_2_8_0_RS6_release". Here right click "dtsapo4x64.inf" and select install and then go back to the "ThirdParty" folder.

g. Now restart (Don't skip restart as it is very important) and then again open the "ThirdParty" folder.
    h. Now open this folder "DTSXUltraHSA_1.7.3.0_x64_bundle.appxupload_Windows10_PreinstallKit_beta" and run this file "7fd8a8aaac5b424b86b68cc344ec1f21.appxbundle" and select install. After installation open it to check if its working and then restart.

9. Perform a windows store apps update, windows update, and a restart as the last step.
    After all these steps this dts x ultra latest version should get installed. Still, if you face any issues then let me know.
    Great news!!! I'll try this and post my results here. You sir, are a life saver 😋❤
  • iamsrc
    @Deejssj @iamsrc Hello, I finally found working steps to install DTS X Ultra after a fresh/clean installation of windows. Now we don't need to depend on the factory os for full utilization of this laptop. But still, remember that you will require the factory os to use your free one drive and some trial version of the software so make a recovery drive.
    Steps to install DTS X Ultra after fresh installation:-
    Note:- I know these steps may sound vague but they work so follow the same sequence okay :) 
    1. Run the windows update and let it complete. (Why? Because if you directly try to install the audio driver then it will throw an error stating "specified path not found")
    2. After this download the Realtek audio driver from the Acer product support page.
    3. Extract it and then run the setup.exe.
    4. It will first uninstall the driver installed by windows and then restart.
    5. After restart it will automatically ask to proceed with the installation and then it will restart again to complete the installation process.
    6. Now after that restart open the Realtek audio driver folder and open this location \Win64\ThirdParty.
    7. Now from here follow the same sequence:-
    a. Run this file "Install_DTSAPO4x_Acer_DTSX_Ultra.bat".

b. Open this folder "DTSXUltraHSA_1.7.3.0_x64_bundle.appxupload_Windows10_PreinstallKit_beta". Here Run "Setup_APP.cmd" and then go back to the "ThirdParty" folder.

c. Open this folder "DTSXUltra_UWP_APO4x_HSA_MSFT_SIGNED_v1_7_0_0_RS6_release". Here right click "dtsapo4xultrahsa.inf" and select install and then go back to the "ThirdParty" folder.

d. Open this folder "DTS_UWP_APO4x_RPCService_MSFT_SIGNED_1_4_5_0_RS6_rel". Here right click "dtsapo4xservice.inf" and select install and then go back to the "ThirdParty" folder.

e. Open this folder "DTS_UWP_APO4x_MSFT_SIGNED_ACER_EXT_1_1_27_0_release". Here right click "dtsapo4Acerextensionpkg.inf" and select install and then go back to the "ThirdParty" folder.

f. Open this folder "DTS_UWP_APO4x_Core_MSFT_SIGNED_1_2_8_0_RS6_release". Here right click "dtsapo4x64.inf" and select install and then go back to the "ThirdParty" folder.

g. Now restart (Don't skip restart as it is very important) and then again open the "ThirdParty" folder.
    h. Now open this folder "DTSXUltraHSA_1.7.3.0_x64_bundle.appxupload_Windows10_PreinstallKit_beta" and run this file "7fd8a8aaac5b424b86b68cc344ec1f21.appxbundle" and select install. After installation open it to check if its working and then restart.

9. Perform a windows store apps update, windows update, and a restart as the last step.
    After all these steps this dts x ultra latest version should get installed. Still, if you face any issues then let me know.
    This works like a charm!! Thanks a ton!! ❤❤❤
  • deepanshuc
    iamsrc said:
    Oh great that it worked for you 👍 and I hope this helps more users who are facing this issue 🙂.
  • Piglus
    Piglus Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    iamsrc said:
    Oh great that it worked for you 👍 and I hope this helps more users who are facing this issue 🙂.
    Just did this and it totally worked for me as well! I just saw that the licenses mysteriously disappeared and it wanted me to purchase them. In a case of serendipity I had seen this thread last night and bookmarked it for future reference, never thinking I would need it less than a day later! Thanks a lot!
  • deepanshuc
    Piglus said:
    Just did this and it totally worked for me as well! I just saw that the licenses mysteriously disappeared and it wanted me to purchase them. In a case of serendipity I had seen this thread last night and bookmarked it for future reference, never thinking I would need it less than a day later! Thanks a lot!
    Great to hear this. 😀 👍
  • Deejssj
    @deepanshuc
    Cannot do a fresh install, have work softwares installed on the OS ssd and haven't partitioned it. [ 1TB SSD for OS & softwares, original 250gb ssd for work storage, original 1tb HDD for mass storage/ scratch disk]

Any workaround without a clean install? since, can't do it for another 3-4 months atleast.

• deepanshuc
    @Deejssj you can follow the post that I marked as an accepted solution but I suggest you forget about it until you do a fresh windows installation as if you mess around too much with the audio drivers it could give a permanent blue screen of death to your laptop. "Permanent" here I means until you do a fresh install of windows.
  • AwadhSao
    AwadhSao Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited February 2021
    @deepanshuc On step b. I cannot find that Setup_APP CMD file, I think they removed it. Btw is your DTS X Ultra still running successfully?

• deepanshuc
    AwadhSao said:
    @deepanshuc On step b. I cannot find that Setup_APP CMD file, I think they removed it. Btw is your DTS X Ultra still running successfully?

Yes, the DTS X Ultra is working fine for me. And if you don't find the Setup_APP CMD file then you can skip that step and continue with the rest of the process which may result in a successful installation of DTS X Ultra. But if that fails then what I recommend is to download the older version of the Realtek audio driver and then follow the steps. And note that windows will auto-update the drivers to the latest version for you on its own and the DTS X Ultra app also auto-updates through the Microsoft store once installed on a device so installing an older version of the driver should not be an issue.

To download older drivers:-

• AwadhSao
    AwadhSao Member Posts: 3 New User
    @deepanshuc I really appreciate your effort, but it doesn't work. It keeps showing the same error.