xc-895 All about the b46h5-ad, size and fit?

BriJam
BriJam Member Posts: 2 New User
I recently bought an xc-895 i5-10400. I want to use it as a framework for a gaming pc. The case is not big enough for a GPU so I'm wondering if the unique shape of the b46h5-ad motherboard will fit into a regular mATX case?

Additionally, the PCIe x16 slot is very close to the RAM slots. If I upgraded the RAM (vengeance lpx), would a GPU (specifically the 5500xt or 1660 super) even fit on the motherboard?

Thank you for any answers and help. Below is a photo of the board, labeled. Credit to billsey (on a seperate q&a thread for the image.
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The mounting holes and form factor are DTX, which uses the same holes as most of the board sizes. The only thing odd is tat projection out the front to line up with front ports in the stock case. You will lose access to those in a different case, unless you can figure out a cabling solution for them.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    The mounting holes and form factor are DTX, which uses the same holes as most of the board sizes. The only thing odd is tat projection out the front to line up with front ports in the stock case. You will lose access to those in a different case, unless you can figure out a cabling solution for them.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BriJam
    BriJam Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the answer about the sizing! Do you know about the graphics card and RAM situation? I know most motherboards have the thicker side of the GPU facing away from the RAM but even if that is the case here it looks a little too close.
  • billsey
    No, there's plenty of room. Ram doesn't take anything special in regards to the air flow and that would really be the only consideration.
  • ThomasTaeter
    ThomasTaeter Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, i have this mainboard in my Aspire TC-895 and i was planning on upgrading my Graphics card. Currently i have a GT 1030 built-in which only needs the PCIe 16x Slot, i want to upgrade to an AMD RX-580 and this needs also a PCIE 6x and 8x Pin power connector. Does this mainboard support these power connectors or can i buy adapters? Is there any chance of me upgrading to a Rx 5

• billsey

Not easily. Your system is one of the newer designs that uses the ATX12VO power supplies, and there aren't good third party sources for those in higher wattage. There are people who have replaced them with a large ATX style, but that involves building adapter cables and choosing a PSU that supports running with only the 12V draw on a single rail.

• Fouty21
    Fouty21 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a tc-895-ua92 - I'm looking to upgrade/optimize to run games better. What would i need to upgrade for better performance as I'm new into the builds of pc's.
    Thank You

• billsey

In general we suggest upgrading the drive first, from a HDD to a SSD. Your SKU already has a SSD though, I believe, so you can skip that step. Next is memory, you want at least 8GB and better is 16GB for most modern machines. I think yours came from the factory with 12GB which means it has one 8GB module and one 4GB module. Since they are different sizes dual channel mode is disabled. Replace the 4GB with an 8GB of the same type as the existing 8GB and dual channel mode will be enabled, giving you a performance boost. Next up is the GPU, your system has a 300W power supply and that will be the limiting factor as to which GPU you can install. Acer made a 500W supply for that model for the versions that had a GPU installed from the factory and that would allow for a better GPU:

You can put some GPUs in without a power upgrade and others will require the upgrade. Your model does use the old style ATX power supply though, so you don't have to go with an Acer specific version.