Why won't my Aspire M3100 desktop support 4 GB in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ?

2»

Answers

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello everyone,

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads and is not responsible for them.

Acquiring files through such links is at the user’s own risk.

• artttt
    artttt Member Posts: 5 New User

I have the same problem and have tried moving the memory around, different memory sizes, different brands, different slots different combinations, etc .. to no avail ... Acer won't help ...

• artttt
    artttt Member Posts: 5 New User

Phil-3 Moderator, Nice of you to tell us this ... but it might be significantly more helpful to get ACER to help us out here ...

• Member Posts: 22 Networker

I found a work-around for this problem (not a solution):

1. Update the BIOS to the latest version (if possible). I updated from R01-A1 to R01-A3.

2. Click Start and enter "msconfig" in the search box

3. Run msconfig

4. Click "Boot" tab

5. Click "Advanced" button

6. Put a check mark in Maximum Memory and enter 4095

7. Click OK twice

8. Reboot

If you are running 4gb of memory, the computer should run normally with no driver issues. Windows sees 4gb and 3.25 is usable. This doesn't explain the problem but should solve the problem with running 4gb. I sold the computer so I didn't get a chance to try more than 4gb. Maybe someone here will give feedback on that.

Good Luck 

ps - these instructions are assuming you are running Windows 7 64-bit

This discussion has been closed.