What SATA Power Cable Do I Need for New Drives? Aspire TC-875 Model D17E5

r0b0ty
r0b0ty Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi, Community.
I have an Aspire TC-875 desktop, Model D17E5.  I want to add two additional hard drives (I'll remove the optical drive), for a total of three HDDs.  Where can I get the SATA cable to power the two new drives?  I don't know what the white 6-pin connector on the motherboard is called.  I imagine that I need a Y-cable for the two new drives, as there is only one additional "white connector" that is unused.  Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the new motherboards with the ATX12VO power supplies need a cable that goes into that socket. For the Aspire TC-875 Acer has two connectors on the cable, one for standard SATA power and a second for the smaller ODD connector. The Acer part number is: 50.VQED3.001. To connect a third HDD/SSD with the cable you'll either want an adapter to allow connection between that smaller power connector and the wider one or a different cable than Acer's with the six pin inline connector to two wide SATA connectors.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• r0b0ty said:
    Hi, Community.
    I have an Aspire TC-875 desktop, Model D17E5.  I want to add two additional hard drives (I'll remove the optical drive), for a total of three HDDs.  Where can I get the SATA cable to power the two new drives?  I don't know what the white 6-pin connector on the motherboard is called.  I imagine that I need a Y-cable for the two new drives, as there is only one additional "white connector" that is unused.  Thanks for your help.
    With SATA drives need 1x data and 1x power cable, you can easily buy the "SATA Data" cables but, the "SATA Power" cables are from your power supply. Yes, you can get splitters to extend one cable into two SATA Power supplies so that you can connect your additional hard drives two drives
  • r0b0ty
    edited December 2020
    The issue is that the power supply has no SATA power cable connections in this desktop.  The hard drive that comes with the desktop is connected directly to the motherboard (to a white, 6-pin connector).  There is an empty one just like it, and I want to use it to connect to the two additional hard drives.  I just don't know what this connector is called and where to buy a connector that fits it.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the new motherboards with the ATX12VO power supplies need a cable that goes into that socket. For the Aspire TC-875 Acer has two connectors on the cable, one for standard SATA power and a second for the smaller ODD connector. The Acer part number is: 50.VQED3.001. To connect a third HDD/SSD with the cable you'll either want an adapter to allow connection between that smaller power connector and the wider one or a different cable than Acer's with the six pin inline connector to two wide SATA connectors.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • r0b0ty
    Thanks, @billsey.

I've placed an order for this cable and hope that it resolves the issue.  Thanks again.
  • billsey
    No problem, be sure to drop back in and let us know how it worked out.