Using PCIe SSD hard drive with M3985 desktop

Bobolat
Bobolat Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I want to upgrade to a PCIe SSD Hard Drive for my Acer M3985 computer. The manual states that  there are:
1 * PCIE x16 (PCIE V3.0)

Can I install the HD into this slot and can it boot from this drive?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Nope, you can put an adapter card in that slot to support NVMe drives, but typically those cards are not bootable. To boot from the slot you typically need to use an expensive RAID card with it's own boot ROM. You are likely better off using a SATA SSD instead of trying an M.2 with that system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Tommy23
    Tommy23 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Not sure if you can boot from it. I have not tried it.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Nope, you can put an adapter card in that slot to support NVMe drives, but typically those cards are not bootable. To boot from the slot you typically need to use an expensive RAID card with it's own boot ROM. You are likely better off using a SATA SSD instead of trying an M.2 with that system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bobolat
    Bobolat Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:

Thanks much!